Candace

I see my dearest coming from the mountains to meet me. I come down to save him the efforts of taking the tiring stairs.

"Why hast thou crossed the river only to quench my cravings to see thee?" I ask.

His hands lay upon me. My heart is clapping inside my soul and yet, I try to remain quiet as the calm waters from the palace's garden. He advances forward and holds my hands in anticipation.

"May thy father accept to betroth thee to me," he breathes, "so we may become one flesh in the eyes of all and the Lord's."

My lips open as wide as an ocean in order to respond to the beautiful melody that his voice is although I know that what I am about to inquire is wrong. I attempted to convince my father that he can't always make choices for me. However, he is as stubborn as a mule. He will never let me be with Arthur, my dear carpenter, hard-working companion and faithful lover.

"I tried to speak to him, but it was with no success," I explain, "he will never accept to make this covenant between our people. I fear that it will never happen!"

The words sound harsh and Arthur freezes as they reach his ears. I know that he is disappointed and hopeless. I can safely say that it is like planting a sword right into his chest. I am no longer allowed to see his robust shadow peek from behind the bushes just to get a full glance of figure anymore.

This used to be his habit whenever he missed me: sneaking into the palace from the secret road. Whereas now, everything will change as my father forbids that he even sets his feet into the palace.

"My dear precious stone," he starts, "I knew that this would be the outcome. But please, tell me that thou wilt not marry another gent if not me."

He is making it even more difficult for me, as I can't promise such a thing. It is beyond my power and I don't see any other alternatives to escape my father's decision. No one can save themselves from their traditions and the responsibilities tied to a kingdom.

I brace him against me and let our warmth mingle. There is no doubt that he can feel my heart agitate inside of my chest. The idea of marrying Prince Aike is agonizing for my poor soul. As for Arthur, his eyes are already expressing the terror of such day where our hands would never be intertwined during fall or keep warm during winter time. I would have my hand in somebody else's, who I will probably never be able to love. 

"I will never choose another soul over thee," I promise, "I know thou wantest to espouse me, not for a flighty adventure, but for a long-lasting one. I will not let my father destroy this precious dream of mine."

I may get wizened and still, I will not worry. Arthur is the wine that keeps me fresh and young. I am as though as a forbidden tropical vegetation which he dares to steal. I am ready to do whatever it takes to remain stolen forever if that'd be the only way to be by his side.

"Oh, the lovely swain of mine! Take me away from my father's castle," I request, "before he sends his troops to stop us."

It is dangerous and clearly is madness. I am aware that he can easily find us. However, our love makes the risks worthwhile.

"When I'm away from thee, Arthur, my mind vagues out through the oaks longing to find you. Do not leave me anymore. Take me with thee," I coax, "for thou lovest me."