Rebels- Scene VI

Enter Tekle and Gigar in their sister's bedroom.

Candace.

"Tekle! My brother."

He drops down his helmet and runs to seize me into his arms. His shoulder is the only thing I want to lay my head upon right now. He allows me to soak his sleeveless garment with my exhausted tears. As for Gigar, I fear that he will start reprimanding me for what I did.

Tekle:

"Shed not thy tears, my sister, for I share thy pain. I heard that thou art childing..."

Gigar:

"I can't believe that thou hast dragged such shame upon the Kingdom and our father's reputation by conceiving a child from Arthur. A Jew!"

Tekle:

"Stop with thy torturous blames, Gigar! It's not the right time. Besides, we still have to figure out how we will tell our father about her current state."

Gigar:

"I warned her about that Carpenter! Ask her if I didn't tell her that such liaisons only happen in dreams. But she didn't believe me!

Candace:

"Tekle, I do not want to live anymore! Not if I don't know for sure that Arthur is alive. Have they hung him?"

Gigar:

"We did not find thy miscreant lover, for the dungeon was filled with blood. We are still trying to figure out what happened. Whereas, father hast to know, and I'll be the one to inform him about thy child."

King Haile:

"It won't be necessary! I heard every single word that her lips hath asserted."

Candace:

I raise my head and look over Tekle's shoulder to the King. He walks toward me with his gold threaded royal robes trailing along the floor.

"May I ask thee the purpose of thy visit?"

King Haile:

"How could you disrespect the life that the Creator gave thee?"

Candace:

I draw back from my brother's embrace and fix my regard upon the King.

"Mock me not, father! But since when thou hast ever acknowledged there was a Creator? Is it when thou knowest that my burden is thy pride?
But no, th'art wrong! Even though I shall be insane enough at this very moment to commit such a foolish act, I did not attempt to do anything against mine own life. I know that my Creator considers it sacred. Thus, it never came to my mind to take it for granted.
I was just enjoying my bath and stayed under the water for too long. Just before I could sit up from the basin, Amul came, since my posture gave him the impression of me drowning.
My head was heavy and my heart racing at an unusual rate. That delayed me from raising up sooner than when he appeared.
To tell thee the truth, however, my soul embraceth grief as a faithful companion. Because of thee, my heart is blackened with sorrow. Mine agony is thee! Release me from thy Castle. I implore thee!"