💋 SCENE III 💋

Candace:

"You prepared my bath with so much passion. Thy kindness is worthier than a million of cabochon rubies. My nostrils are relishing in the aroma of the bergamot oil you put in the cold water. However, remove the roses and the candles! I do not want any trace of light into this room henceforth. Let me drown into this thick darkness full of sorrow after my beloved. This morning, his life will be taken away.
I am greatly distressed, Ada.
Thou mayest leave, now! I will take my bath alone."

Ada:

"Mistress, it hath been three days since thou hast not eaten. Thou worriest me! Thou lovest having roses in thy bath and now thou wantest me to discard them from thy sight. I am hopeful that the King will take notice of thy suffering."

Candace:

Ada, my servant, kneels in front of the basin to take the flowers out. I slide one hand onto her shoulder and my drops of affliction break free.

"Thou mayest leave them! And I beg thee, do not try to comfort me. Let me savour the salty taste of my tears for they will be shed to mourn Arthur, the love of my life."

After a minute of reluctance, she withdraws. I unbutton my nightgown and slide the sleeves down my arms. I watch my robe slowly falling off to the floor.
My thoughts terrorize me, as I look over to the basin!
I caress my abdomen, dwelling on the future of my baby. I am currently deprived of sanity. I can't think straight. I do not even feel like striving for this little Creature forming in my womb, and less, myself. I do not want my child to end up like my brother, Amul. Father has always neglected him because of our race's influence. I will not be able to bear such injustice again! I have witnessed enough atrocities for these last twenty years of my life. Father will never change! He is not willing to protect the helpless one nor build a roof for the homeless to sleep. I even wonder if I really have his blood flowing in my veins, for I despise it. I wish I could go and shout the good news to Arthur in this critical hour. Although he wouldn't see our baby growing inside of me, he would have been overjoyed to know. He had planted the seed of our love within me whose soon to become a fruit, a proof that we were stronger than the obstacles lying in our way. But the King forbids me to leave the Castle!