Love Stains- Scene VI

Arthur:

"If my beloved was here, then the bright light of our love would have erased this thick darkness and make it sunny with her delightful voice. I am thirsty. As for my stomach, I hear it howl as a desperate wolf, out in the woods searching for its food. My muscles are tired from fighting these cords holding me captive. My soul is getting ravenous, and I need a well nearby to appease my thirst. It has been two days since we've been waiting. May they come back and end the matter. If I shall die, then I will!"

The other prisoner grinds. He turns his head at me with a hopeful stare. I am puzzled by his heedless behaviour.

"Why laughest thou while I can hear thine abdomen begging for bread, friend? Art thou not worried?"

He shakes his head with a passionate smile.

"What is thy name, if I may ask thee?

His laugh and enthusiasm shut down at once.

"I am David. I was given that name after King David, one of the Jews' ancestors."

My eyes widen with vivid memories of my peoples. How I miss Jerusalem! The city that used to make us rejoice. I wish my family had not abandoned me!
When the city got invaded by the Ethiopians, the wife of the King spared my life. One of the servants breastfed me until I was given to a widow to raise me. The Queen was very fond of me. I gained a position in the Castle but then lost, as I was caught stalking Candace in her room.
Gigar divulged our secret to the King and so, I was asked to leave to avoid tensions with the King. We did so discreetly, for the Queen was on her death mattress, requesting to see me before drawing her very last breath. I was with her, during her very last hours, with the door closed just as she requested. I made a promise to her, which I kept but is not complete. I shall achieve the rest of the plan.

"Thou liest not, I hope!"

David:

"The walls don't have ears in here, for they are structured to keep secrets in. Me being a Jew is a secret. Now, thou may believe me, since I risk my life as I tell thee!"

Arthur:

"I know your tongue will not deliver any dishonest speech as I am also a Jew."

David:

"What sin thou hast committed for being brought here?"

Arthur:

"I fell in love with the deceased Queen's daughter, Candace Haile.
My friend, her eyes are like harps being played for a cheerful bride. As for her hips, they are like a tambourine being shaken to give power to the stars to shine at dawn. When she laughs, I feel as if her teeth are tugging into my flesh. Even though she's distant, her perfume remains on mine hands."

David:

"Thou hast made a good choice, for she is as astonishing as the sun. I had seen her only once, for I had been given a position is the Castle."

Arthur:

"Then why are you here?"

David:

"It was a foolish dare that brought me here. I told Amul, the commander of the Kingdom's army and son of the king that I would survive two days without no bread and wine, so I could get admitted as one of his personal attendants. I shall leave by sunset."

Arthur:

"Support not this traitor! The Queen told me that he wants to rule as King and degrade my beloved and her other brothers as soon as he gets enough power. He wants his mother to sit as Queen on the throne. I indeed gave him the perfect occasion to satisfy his greed by accepting to flee with the King's daughter. How do I tell Candace about her half brother's treasonous intentions while I am not allowed to get out of this squalid dungeon?"

David:

"Thy case is complex, friend. But I will help thee!"

Arthur:

David tells me to crawl over. I do so with no slight hesitation.

"Approach closer and try to catch my hand." He says, slithering his buttocks backwards, so our hands can meet. I bruise my arms by trying to loosen myself from the tightropes. Suddenly, I feel a knife drop onto my palms.

"Do not give permission to thyself to hesitate, since the time of you being here hath shortened. Try to break one strand. If ever you tire out, I'll get the weapon back from thee."

Arthur:

"How will I escape? There are dozens of guards watching the dungeon."

David:

"Thou hast to trust me. Cut one strand, for now, so thy arms may be less bruised. Exactly at midnight, you shall get thyself free from the other strand. You won't stay here."

Arthur:

"I shall thank thee for thy mercy as you give me hope..."

The door opens and a robust man throws my beloved inside. It's the King! My dearest falls on the damp ground with her arm laced around her waist, then he walks out.

Candace:

"My love, father decideth to hang thee.
If ever you die, I won't survive.
Thou hast to strive...
Do you hear me?"

Arthur:

Her tears heighten the distress I'm in. These chains are holding me from seizing her shaky hands. As for the ropes, they debilitate me despite my physical might. I can only watch the distress smothering her face which I am desperate to caress with my cheeks.

"My dearest, you are the rose that the world will see bloom in the middle of the wilderness.
Is my love not enough for thee?
Even dead, my love for thee will sing you poems to comfort thy soul.
You will transform thorns into lilies...
And I'm sure that thou wilt find someone better than me."

She refuses to take courage through my words.
She is crawling onto her knees towards me, reaching for the prison bars to hold.

Candace:

"You are talking as if you were already dead. Arthur, I have something to tell thee! I..."

I want to announce the good news to him. The words are at the tip of my tongue. However, my cries cover them like the waves of the sea. I will not have the time to tell him that he's soon to become a father as my brothers, showing no compassion towards him, take me by my left arm and walk me out of the dungeon, for I was only allowed to utter my farewells to Arthur. What a misery for my dispirited soul, for my baby won't see the light in his father's presence. May he not die!