SCENE IV

3 Months Later

Arthur:

I left my beautiful princess with the wolves since it was time for me to go hunting.
We needed to have a feast, to celebrate our love for each other.
When I returned, my dearest was no longer in the cottage.
I dropped the sheer I was carrying over my shoulder off to the ground.
All my wolves were killed by a sword.

"By who?"
I wondered, with my mind racing to find a scapegoat.

"You lost something, Arthur?"
A voice addressed me. It's the young Ethiopian Prince, Amul, Candace's oldest brother. He walked away from his hideout and planted his sword into the grass, as Tekle and Gigar dragged their sister out of the cottage. Candace's screams made me eager to come to her rescue. My heart was loaded with pain and lack of power. They kicked me from the back of my knees and I fell down, watching them taking my dearest away. Her hand was hanging, waiting to be intertwined with mine. Whereas, I was too impotent to salvage her. I could not believe that they found us. The king was not going to forgive us; and less, me, a carpenter who dared keep his daughter away from him.

I received a blow on my head and fell asleep.

Candace:

I am kept in hostage by the king's order.
Why would my brethren commit such cruelty as to take the lives of those innocent animals?
The wolves were just trying to defend me, and in return, Amul killed them!
The gruesome picture of their death makes it impossible for my mind to rest. Besides, I miss Arthur, my sweet raisin cake.
My father will punish me for marrying a Carpenter, who used to be once his servant.
Why did I unite myself to an ordinary person like him?
Father had taught me how to keep my head high and cherish my integrity.
But I broke the boundaries!
I built a bridge with my love for Arthur, that brave Creature who had left me dizzy with his romantic words.
We walked on it and looked past it.
There were no barriers between us anymore.
We allowed our love to triumph, as now, I know that I am with child.
What a black heart! It misled me.
I have a part of Arthur inside of me henceforth.
I will never be able to deny him, my love.

Someone unlocks the door. I fix my dress as my eyes meet with my father's. He orders the guards that we get left alone to talk. I bow down, not sure whether he's angry or happy to see me, exactly after three months time.

King Negus Haile:

"I shall not raise my hand upon thee and disfigure the beauty that you are. But I will speak to you as a King and not as thy father." He declares.

Candace:

My blood clogs up in my arteries. What does father mean by such statement?

"May you forgive me, my Lord. But what is the intent behind these words?"
I ask with fear layering my face.
I start itching my arms, for my bloodstream starts reacting from the pressure.

"You dishonoured me!" He yells.

His voice sounds like a thunderbolt. I am afraid of this storm, for I've never suffered father's wrath before. I taste it today and it's bittersweet. There's the lightning flashing from his eyes as he fiercely looks at me. Starting from my head, down to the toes. That intent stare just means disgust and it's ripping my heart apart. He walks past me while my back is still bowed to address him in the proper greetings.

King Negus Haile:

"You have put the kingdom to shame and even put your dignity at stake for a carpenter. I refuse to believe that my daughter could have rebelled against me and abandon her property to go live with a needy and white outsider. He is not even one of our peoples, dear! Not even close."

Candace:

"I know, father! I understand that thy reputation was undermined by my foolish acts. I beseech thee to spare me the penalty of having him snatched away from my life. I will not be able to live without him."

I kneel at his feet, which he turns away from me. He can't find the words to explain the pain that I've dragged unto him. My bones are shattering inside of me. I can't bear the deception echoing in his voice. I am such a disgrace to the King, and even my brethren despise me.

"What happened there, with that Carpenter? Did he touch thee?"

He demands with his eyes watching my trembling lips. The agony tattooed on my face responds to the question itself. I fear to tell my father that I am bearing a child. May God forgive me, for I will not tell him.

"How could you, Candace? You have offered yourself to him?"

He repeats, from disbelief.

"We have strengthened our bonds through marriage. No immoral sins were committed. He hath never allowed such thoughts to cross his mind. He respects me and he's my choice!"

As I finish defending Arthur, he slams the back of his hand against my cheek. I push out a scream of pain, as the heavy blow makes my face red with humiliation. I bite my lips as I weep. I taste blood flooding upon my tongue. However, it makes me happy. I am suffering out of love and that makes me satisfied. I will welcome the sentence for loving Arthur with pride. Him, whose nostrils release the smell of cinnamon. His arms are built in steel, as he lifts up his hammer to cut woods to feed me. I watched the sweats running down his beardless chin. His body is my every-day shelter. I will not survive in these trials without his warmth. His love is my medicine. The king may do whatever he likes, but I'll be forever his. Arthur's wife and Princess.

As my sobs increase, my father storms off.