Chapter 13

A/N: Sorry for the delay. I didn't know how to make this chapter flow. 

I wake up to see Liam, Zayn, Louis, Harry, and Niall sleeping all around the room. Liam has a cast on his arm. Wonder what happened there? I’m confused as hell, but I can’t wake them up. I slowly put the bed in a sitting position and tried to quietly get the little table in front of me. On the little table I have my laptop, phone, iPod, and my backpack. I opened my backpack and pulled out my pencil pouch and some paper and started writing.

“I brought the stuff you asked me for Kayla. Are you hungry? Mum is coming up with doughnuts and coffee and milk.” Nicola asked walking in the room. I smiled at my older sister and she smiled back. You can see the sadness in her eyes. You can see it in everyone’s eyes.

“Thanks Nikki. Can you do me a favor? Can you push over that table?” I asked her sitting up slowly. I hate being dependent on people but I have no choice. Nicola moved the table close to the bed so I can get back to working.

“So who’s staying with you tonight?” Nicola asked sitting down in the chair next to my bed.

“If you aren’t busy I was going to ask you. And I had something sent to mum and dad’s flat under my name. It should arrive later. I asked Ruth to pick it up on her way here later when she get off of work. I’ll need your help with it.” I said pulling out the papers. Mum came up holding two boxes in her hands and behind her are dad and the lads.

“A package was delivered to you at our flat early this morning.” Mum sad handing me the brown box. I looked around the room and noticed two faces missing.

“They’re outside, talking. They kinda want to come in yet, but they will.” Harry said, him being the only one to realize that I was searching for my brother and Zayn. What I hate about this is that everyone is so calm and still like they don’t know how to act or be around me. It makes me feel worse. I just want everything to seem normal.

Mum cleared her throat before speaking, “Since we didn’t get to have a birthday anything for Makayla we’re going to have a dinner here for her. Everyone can come.” She said with a little excitement in her voice.

“Actually, Mrs. Payne, we’ll let you guys have her for the night. You know so can make it a family thing.” Louis said speaking up.

“Don’t be silly Louis, you lads are family.” Dad responded.

“With all due respect I think we’ll sit this one out.” Niall retorted.

“Very well than, Makayla you can choose what we eat.”  Mum said turning to me.

“I’ll think about it.”

“Did you sleep last night?” Liam asked me while sitting down at the edge of my bed.

“Are you David Beckham?” I smirked while answering. Liam chuckled and shook his head.

“You should get some sleep.”

“Why would I waste time sleeping if I’m going to die soon?” I whispered to Liam. Liam didn’t respond he gave me a pity smile.

“Mum, can we have Greek food?”

“Absolutely. We’ll go get it right now.” Mum said before kissing me on the forehead and leaving the room. Dad, Ruth, and Nicola followed her in her footsteps and left.

“We’re going to go home actually. Zayn, you coming?”

“I’ll get home later okay?” Zayn said before walking next to me. He bent down and kissed my cheek.

“I love you Makayla. I always have and always will.”

“I love you too Zayn. Remember that.” I smiled up at him.

“Get some sleep Kayla, we’ll be here when you wake up. Zayn you want to talk for a little bit?”

“Yeah, sure. Sweet dreams princess.” I close my eyes and after a couple minutes I fall asleep.

*Liam’s POV*

Makayla has been sleeping for about half an hour.

“Liam, what are you thinking about?” Zayn asked me randomly.

“How much I’m going to miss her when she’s gone. I was always scared when she first got sick when she was little. I thought I was going to lose her but then she was on remission so I had hope. She had three more years to go but I guess it wasn’t meant to be.” I held my head in my hands.

“Li, I have no idea what to tell you. Whatever happens, happens for a reason.”

“I know its just—” I was cut off by a loud beep. We jump up and run to Makayla’s bed.

“Z-Zayn she’s flat lining.” I say out of shock and panic. Nurses and the doctor rush into the room.

“That’s my sister. You have to let me stay in the room.” I said as the nurses and Zayn try to pull me out of the room.

“Liam, look at me. We have to leave the room. Okay?” I gave up and let him push me out of the room. I stand next to the window outside her room. After a while of them trying to shock her back her to life. They shut of the machine and started walking out the room.

The doctor walked up to me with a mournful look on his face before uttering the words, “We tried everything that we could to save your sister. I’m sorry but, Makayla is gone.”