Chapter Seven

Chapter Seven

Everything began happening too fast for me to comprehend. Father, and Candace both began packing things up as erratically as possible, and I was left in the dressing room, sitting alone in a chair. There was an abundance of shouting, and curse words being said as people rushed around filling boxes with anything they could get their hands on. Women were half naked, not caring about decency as they packed their outfits together, and someone dropped something that was glass, and the sound of shards exploding all over the floor was enough to bring me to my senses.  

So, this is the circus life, I thought, how enchanting.

The more aware I got, the quicker my anxiety began to harden inside me as I realized what I got myself into. I'm running away. I agreed to leave my entire life behind just to save a stranger with a clown's name.

I thought about Katie, and how I knew she was going to assume the worst. I can't go out and tell her what I'm doing, she'd never allow it.

She'll just have to wait for my return, whether it breaks her or not, I am not her responsibility. Besides, my absence will not be permanent. I will return. I will, I will, I will.

I stood from the chair, and walked into the darker room where all the cages were. I cautiously walked to each cage, looking inside for the familiar boy with the unfamiliar skeleton. I was confused at first, because each cage was empty. I was about to stop one of the backup dancers and ask them where Cousin was, when a hand landed on my shoulder, and spun me around.

I gasped as the forcefulness, but slightly relaxed when I saw Candace staring down at me with a look that nothing but pure amusement. "We are boarding the train in a half hour. You can ride with the backup dancers if you hurry and catch up with them."

"Can I ride with Cousin?" I blurted before I could stop myself. Did I really want to ride alone in a boxcar with a man who held no humanity?

No.

Maybe.

Yes.

He is, after all, my only reason for being here.

Candace's eyebrows rose as if he was surprised by my sudden willingness to be alone with the clown, but he just shrugged, "Fine, but try not to agitate him, he's a bitch to calm down."

I frowned, "What do you mean?"

"He gets angry is what I mean." Candace lifted a box, and I noticed his muscle's pop out as he did so. He was unusually broad for a man who wears a dress. I almost laughed if it weren't for the fact that he still is considered a threat to me. "He's a real drama-queen." How ironic he's the one calling others a drama-queen.

"Well isn't it obvious? You guys keep him chained up like an animal."

"We're all animals, he just embraces his evolutional nature." He pointed his head towards a box on the ground, "Pick that up, and I'll take you to the train."

I nodded and grabbed the box that was surprisingly light for a crate of colored glass.

He began walking to the back exit of the tent, and I had to take two steps to his one just to keep up. Once we exited the tent, I realized I was in forbidden territory to non-circus workers. There were tents, and stacked-up crates, and animals lounging around on the small patches of grass. There was a large fence that went around the whole circus, and just outside it was a path that led to the train.

I was so close. Once I board the train, there is no turning back.

I noticed not far off two very tall, and very muscular performers, both holding chains as they connected to somebody's wrists.

Cousin's wrists.

They were leading him to the train. I couldn't help but study him. He had a black blindfold on, most likely so he doesn't see his surroundings and begin lusting for freedom -if he doesn't already. He wore a dirty long sleeve shirt that was ripped in multiple sections, and black pants that held more holes than actual material. Altogether, his clothes practically hung on him. He was so thin, and his body was so pale that it looked as if it'd burn if an ounce of sunlight met it. Wrapped around his wrists were the chains that rattled with each step that he took.

I wanted to hurt both the performers who were inflicting such captivity.

Candace must have noticed my staring at Cousin, because he cleared his throat rather dramatically loud, which broke my trance and I turned my head to him.

"You're oddly infatuated with him." He said nodding towards Cousin.

"He's oddly unnatural."

"Oh honey," He said with a snort, "None of us are natural. Still, though, most girls fear him."

"Most men don't wear dresses." I pointed out.

"Are you always going to make it a habit to point out my attire? Because if so, I also have lipstick that you've never seen me wear."

I stared at him as we walked, "Well I suppose if you happen to share your lipstick, we can form an agreement." It was a poor attempt at a joke, but nonetheless, he laughed.

"What agreement? You poking fun of my wardrobe?"

I shrugged, as the box in my arms was becoming heavier and heavier with each step I took, "Forgive me if it may seem that I'm making fun of you, but I also have come to the conclusion that you may enjoy the attention."

He gasped and we eyed each other for a long moment. At first, I thought he was going to scold me for saying something so far-fetched, but as always, he just ended up laughing as if he were mad. Some of the circus workers around us all stared at the both of us because of his dramatic laughter, and I wanted to hide.

"You," He said between breaths, "are a brilliant Sherlock Holmes." He balanced the box he was carrying with one arm, and wiped a tear from his eyes, "But really, I do crave the attention. You're absolutely right. It's not like I wear these dresses because I want to be a woman," his voice lowered, "I don't want to be a woman, I just like being the center of attention."

"Consider your mission accomplished."

"Oh no," He shook his head, "My mission will never be accomplished, because I'll never stop being a star."

I narrowed my eyes, "A star?"

"I'm the star of this show, got a problem?"

I rolled my eyes.

We both made it to the train, and Candace took the box from me. I watched as both the performers who were with Cousin were now pulling him up into the boxcar.

The train began to whistle, as a warning that it's time to board. Candace beckoned for me to get into the boxcar with Cousin, and even helped me up by taking my hand.

"He shouldn't hurt you." He said simply, as if I needed to be reassured. I don't think I needed to be reassured, but still, I was grateful for his slight compassion. "He's chained to the car's flooring so stick to the walls, and he won't be able to grab you."

I glanced at Cousin who was still blindfolded, but his head was perked up as if he were listening. As if he were curious.

I rose my eyebrows, "Does he grab people often?"

"You'd be surprised what a mental man would do in mental situations." And to that, he rolled the boxcar's door shut, leaving me and the clown in complete darkness.