Chapter Ten

If I accidentally type Inanis instead of Cousin, just shoot me

The bone cutter plagues my mind

Chapter Ten

The train had finally stopped at the next circus grounds. Everyone was rushing about, putting things together for the show. Candace directed me to stay beside Cousin since he and I were the main act.    

We sat behind the large stage where we both will be preforming on tonight. Cousin was in chains and I sat beside him, but made sure there was space between us. I wasn't sure if I was keeping my distance for him, or for myself.

It's not that I was uncomfortable around him, but I did wonder if I kept being careless, he'd eventually break.

The last thing I wanted was the clown to attack me when I'm only here for him.

I stood, my skin was being pinched all around by the dress I was wearing. "This is ridiculous." I tell Cousin, even though he probably couldn't care less. Candace had given me an outfit to wear, which was a very limited black and white dress. It was short, and tight, and I wondered how on earth I'd be able to maneuver in it. "It's barely enough to cover anything." I said, assuming he was not even listening.

I sighed when I didn't get a response and sat back down.

I still had no idea what I was supposed to do on stage. Mr. Father told me I was to do everything he told me to do.

So, I began to question, what, exactly, he was going to tell me to do.

I shook off my nerves and took a deep breath. Out of the corner of my eye, I noticed Cousin glance at me.

I pretended to ignore him, but on the inside, my heart was pounding. I wondered what he was thinking I wondered if he would talk to me again if we were alone.

Eventually, Candace beckoned for me to the dressing room where my hair was to be done. Reluctantly, I said goodbye to Cousin, who didn't spare me another glance, and left.

I walked into the dressing room and sat on a chair in front of a large, lit up mirror. Candace stood over me with his large muscular hand prodding through my tangled brown hair.

"Honey, do you even brush your hair?"

I held back the urge to hide my face, "Sometimes? It's so short I normally just don't bother. . ." I trailed off as the look he was giving me made me cringe in self-disgust.

"I don't care if you are bald, you brush your damn head, do you hear me?"

"That makes no sense."

"Live by my words and you'll have all the men after you, trust me."

My thoughts immediately went to Cousin, which I found weird. I definitely didn't want him to like me like that. I just wanted him to realize I was a friend.

A friend that will help him break out of his torment.

Besides I still wasn't sure if he was capable of loving anyone or anything.

Candace began to curl my hair with a hot iron. I hadn't had my hair fixed like this in years. I actually enjoyed staring at myself in mirror the entire time.

Then he moved on to makeup, which I was immediately uncomfortable with. I understood this was a circus act, and that I needed the colors on my face to be bold and exciting, but I never worn makeup before.

This was out of my comfort zone, not to mention the dress was appalling.

Candace worked fluently, as if he was born to make art with a makeup brush. "You look gorgeous." He said, as he and I stared at my reflection in the mirror.