Chapter Fifteen

Chapter Fifteen

I woke up on a battered red couch that smelt of mold and what I hoped was not urine.  

Groaning, I slowly sat up, the room spinning, along with black dots exploding through my vision. Immediately a sharp pain erupted as I moved my left arm, and I began to recall the events that had happened before I passed out.

I remembered Mr. Father throwing me on the floor, I remember my head hitting the ground and Candace running over to me.

I gasped, remembering Cousin, if I felt bad, he must feel ten times worse.

I stood up too quickly, making my stomach roll and a wave of nausea make me almost lose my balance. I knew I was in on of the dressing rooms behind the stage, but I had no idea where Cousin was.

The door suddenly opened, and Candace walked in with a glass of water and a bottle of painkillers.

We made eye contact, and by the multiple expressions running across his face, I already knew what he was going to say.

"You need to sit down honey-"

"How long was I out?"

"Two hours, almost three."

Two hours. My heart dropped, "Where is he?"

He sighed, "You hit your head really hard, you should sit."

"Candace, where is he?"

He huffed, "Father is-"

"Not him," I spat, "Cousin, where is Cousin?"

He knew who I was talking about, it was as if he didn't want to say. "Maybe you really should sit down."

"Candace I swear to god if you don't help me, I'm going to turn the whole damn stage apart."

"Alright, alright." I watched him set the glass of water and pills on a table with a bent leg, and sighed yet again, "He was put back in the train."

I didn't hesitate, I made a dash for the door, but Candace caught me by the arm before I could pass him, "I need to warn you, girl."

"Let go of me."

"If you're so set on seeing him, you better have a stomach of steel, and you better not let anyone know you care."

We stared at each other for a long, silent moment, before I jerked my arm out of his grasp, and ran out of the room.

Still dizzy with a pounding headache, I ran out of the stage tent, and down the path to the train carts. There were dozens of dancers all practicing or setting things up for the show tonight. I could feel them staring at me with pity, which only made my anger increase.

I wasn't the victim here. Why couldn't they understand that?

When I reached Cousin's train cart, I put all my energy in my good arm to open the door. When it was open enough for me to get in, I hoisted myself up, and shut the door behind me.

Cousin was, as always, chained to the floor. A swallowed down the sob that had been stuck in my throat the moment I laid eyes on him.

Bruises, his skin was more blue, black, and purple than it was white.

"Oh, my darling." I whispered, unable to hold back the tears as they ran down my face without warning. I got on my knees beside him, and gently put my hand on his.

He didn't even flinch, I wasn't sure if he was just in too much pain to care, or if he was barely conscious enough to feel it.

His skin was cold as ice, and I found myself taking my jacket off and wrapping it around him. His shirt was thin, and barely did anything for him in regards to warmth.

Suddenly his body slumped over as if he couldn't stay conscious a second longer. I managed to grab him before his head hit the floor. Leaning against the wall of the train car, I gently placed his head in my lap.

Softly, I ran my hand through his hair, as I watched his chest rise up and down so faintly.

The entire time, I was sobbing.

I couldn't stop. I cried for him because over the past two weeks I have grown to adore him. I knew he hated me, that I mean nothing to him, but I'd be lying if I said he hadn't stolen my heart.

My only goal in life, was to give him one.

He deserved happiness.

He deserved freedom.

And Mr. Father deserved to rot.

I don't know how long I sat with him in my arms, gently running my hand through his knotted black hair, over and over and over.

With my head pounding, and my left arm incredibly sore, I leaned my head back.

Before I knew it, I had fallen asleep.

I dreamt that I was back home, my mother was talking to me from the kitchen, explaining how I wasn't allowed to leave the house because it was too dangerous alone.

I was angry, I pounded up the stairs to my little bedroom and slammed the bent door shut.

I dreamt of calling my mother ever cursed name I could think of. I could feel the rage build up inside me as I laid on my bed of feathers and fox skin. We may be poor, but my step father was a brilliant hunter. I could almost physically feel the warmth of my bed unearth my fingertips, comforting me.

And then I woke up. Forced back into the reality of the small box car, and the tortured boy passed out against me.

There was the loud patter of rain beating against the top of the train, making the sounds of the circus drowned out.

I smiled to myself, thinking about how Mr. Father would have to get on stage with a massive hangover, and apologize to the angry crowds that they weren't getting their main event tonight.

I hope they give him hell.

Cousin stirred, snapping me out of my trance, and only seconds after he opened his eyes, I felt him stiffen, as if realizing that not only was I touching him, but his head was in my lap.

He jerked forward so quickly, I almost forgot that he had taken a serious beating only a few hours ago.

Once he was far away from me as the tiny train car could permit him to be, his eyes fixed on mine, and for a long moment, I watched him glare at me.

"You passed out." I try to tell him, "I only wanted to-" I stopped, not really knowing what to say. What did I want to do? Comfort him? Even I knew human contact was the last thing that would comfort someone like him.

So why did I hold him?

I sighed, decided to just give up. "Are you alright?" The blue and purple bruises covering his skin said otherwise.

He stared at me without saying anything for the longest moment, before I saw him take a slight breath, as if to try and calm himself. His voice came out in a whisper, and by the slight hoarseness of tone, I knew even talking pained him. "I agree to your deal."

And that was all I needed to hear.