Chapter Four

Chapter Four

Katie, my sister, and Jace both did everything within their power to cheer me up. Jace won me a stuffed animal toy from one of the carnival games. Katie bought me a giant ball of cotton candy, but none of it mattered to me. I sat at one of the tables, as Katie and Jace sat at a different one, kissing each other, and talking in annoying 'in-love' voices that I couldn't stand.   

I stared at the cotton candy I was holding, thinking of nothing but Cousin. How fragile he looked, how angry and yet humiliated he must have been.

And to think this is his life. He's practically used to this; traveling the world in a circus tent. Chained to the ground and displayed as a show.

Disgusting.

I pulled a piece of the cotton candy from its form, and threw it on the ground. I wondered if Cousin ever had cotton candy before. I wondered what food he does eat. Or if they even hardly feed him at all, since he's nothing but bones.

The sun was nearly gone now, and lovely lights turned on all throughout the carnival. I saw a wave of people enter the large circus tent where Cousin was being held. I knew Mr. Father was hosting a second showing in less than an hour.

I want to see him again.

I glanced over and Katie and Jace, who were currently sucking each other's faces. I rolled my eyes, and silently moved away until I was out of the sight. Quickly, I headed back down to the stage. Crowds of people were once again filling the area. As usual, I took advantage of my short height, and made my way through the mass of people, until I was nearly so close to the stage, I didn't even have to reach out to touch it.

The show won't start for another forty minutes.

I stood there, trembling at the thought of seeing him again. Cousin. The innocent creature who looked not-so-innocent.

I noticed beside the stage there was an opening almost like an entry-way to behind the curtain. I glanced around, looking for security, or anyone who was guarding the area, but I saw no one.

I inched closer to the mysterious opening, and as I was close enough, I looked in. It was dark inside, but a few candles were lit on an old wooden table. I had the sudden urge to walk in, to see for myself the habitat in which Cousin may be kept in.

I entered, keeping myself hidden in the shadows, and dodging the faint light of the candles. I made sure nobody would be able to see me. So far, my stealth was working.

The further I got into the room, the more horrified I became. There were cages, large, metal cages that were just the right size for a human. They must be human cages; how else would they keep Cousin here?

I suddenly felt the urge to throw up all over the stained rugs.

I walked even further in and ducked behind a tall stack of crates that were most likely full of equipment for the shows. I felt my body flare in the desire to burn these boxes, to burn the entire place down with Cousin beside me, watching.

My eyes soon became adjusted to the darkness, and I could see a bit more clearly. I heard a few voices come from a different room, and I decided to take the risk and get closer.

I crawled on my knees towards the entrance of the second room, and hid behind a curtain that smelt of mold and cigarettes.

I peeked inside the room to see who was talking. The room was well lit using actual electricity and not candles. There were a few vanities, and a large clothing rack with different performance outfits hanging down it.

This must be the dressing room.

I spotted Mr. Father smoking a cigar as he sat at one of the vanities. A large woman who had little to no clothing on, was fixing his hair, and applying makeup on his repulsively bloated face. I could hear every word they said so clearly, I wished I couldn't.

"The schedule is constricted, Candice. Our last show here in Oregon is tomorrow night, and then we must somehow make it down to Illinois before the weekend." He snorted and blew a puff of smoke, "I should shoot the bastard who made this schedule so impossible."

"The schedule may be difficult." Spoke what I assumed was Candice in a deep voice. Suddenly I realized that Candice may not be a woman after all. "But the income is good. Our profits have increased dramatically since Ignominy's first headline. He's a real crowd maker."

Ignominy. Cousin.

I bit my lip, and forced myself to keep listening.

Mr. Father shrugged, "He's a real chore to work with. Can't get him to look at the crowd no matter what I do to him. I'm getting convinced if we don't change up his act, people are going to start getting bored."

"That girl," Said Candice, "The one you invited to the stage, he interacted with her well." I realized they were speaking about me, and I felt the breath get stuck in my lungs as they kept talking. "In fact, I've never seen the crowd so hyped."

There was a long silence before Mr. Father spoke up again, "Maybe that's it. Like beauty and the beast, our beast is missing his beauty."

Candice finished the last of the makeup on Mr. Father, and began to do his own makeup, "It's going to be a pain in the ass to find another girl willing to work with him. He doesn't exactly look like the world's friendliest puppy."

"We'll find someone." Grunted Mr. Father in return, "How hard is it to find someone with the paycheck we're offering?"

"It's time to preform Sir." Spoke a backup dancer who ran into the room, "Ignominy is secured in the shackles on the stage."

Mr. Father stood, and Candice backed away. "It's show time." He spoke, while taking one last puff of his cigarette, he handed it to Candice, and walked out.