twenty six

Y/N POV

I'm hurt, I'm genuinely hurt.

It still hasn't sunk in that my big brother is dead and he isn't coming back. I'm hurt that Isaac is gone but what hurts me the most is how he died.  He'd just dropped his boys off at their mom's house and he realized that Hakeem left his bear in the backseat so he drove back to the house.

He had just pulled up at Hakeem's mother's house when a cop pulled him over. Long story short the cop roughed him up and shot him and to make matters worse Hakeem was standing in front of the window when it happened. According to the cop Isaac fit the description of someone who was wanted for murder but an hour later the actual suspect was caught.

Apparently Isaac started pulling his life together too. He found a legitimate job working as a messenger and he was taking night classes so he could earn his degree.

The funeral is the thing I'm least looking forward too. The family is standing in the vestibule waiting to walk in. Dinah took a day off from work just so she could be by my side. My parents are in the front and Issac's baby mama and their sons are not too far behind me. As soon as we started walking in I could hear my dad crying and I started getting that strange feeling in my stomach. I just held on to Dinah's hand as we walked into the church. When it was my turn to view Issac's body I just stood there for a moment.

"I'm sorry." That's all I could say.

Dinah and I took a seat next to Drew and his girlfriend and waited until the rest of the family viewed his body.

Quentin and Miles took it pretty hard which was expected, they're a little bit older than Hakeem is so they have an idea about what's happened. Poor little Hakeem he doesn't know what's going on.

Hakeem's mom held him up so he could give his dad a kiss. But what he did next shook me to my core.

Hakeem tapped Isaac on the forehead and said, "Daddy wake up, nap time is over."

I wanted to cry but the tears weren't coming out. Once all of the family had made it into the church the service started. It was a very nice service and I didn't shed a tear once. At the end of the service my brothers and I got up some we could be the pallbearers. Never in a million years did I think we would be carrying one of my brothers to his final resting place. We carried Isaac from the church all the way to the cemetery. The pastor came out and read a few scriptures then allowed each one of us to say a few words.

I didn't want to say anything but I did because it was the right thing to do.

"Isaac and I fought a lot, most of the time it was over dumb stuff. Isaac had his problems just like the rest of us but he started taking the steps to become a better person, not only for himself, but for his kids. I admired him for doing that. Isaac no matter how much we fussed and fought I loved you. And I promise to be there for you boys and when they ask me I'll tell them how amazing you were."

Drew tried to say a few words but he couldn't because he was so choked up.  The pastor said a nice prayer and the casket was lowered into the ground. After the service everyone went back to my father's house for the repass. I ate a little bit of food and went up to my room to be alone. Dinah stayed downstairs and socialized with my family. I was so glad I had Dinah by my side and to help me through this tough day.

I took out my phone and called up Normani. It's been awhile since we talked and I wanted to know how she was doing. She didn't pick up the phone so I left her a voicemail.

"Hey Normani it's Y/N. I know things ended bad between us but I still care about you, a lot. You cross my mind at the most random times and after that I can't stop thinking about you. Even though we were together for a short period of time we did make some great memories together. I hope that while you were away you got the help you needed. You're too beautiful and too intelligent to be pulling crazy stunts like that. Anyway, when you get this message hit me up. Bye.