Betterment

The first oil boom in La Trinity was when oil was found here in the decade between 1910 to 1920.

As stated before, when oil was found the economy  was expanded and the job market was opened up.

During these years, World War 1 was taking place and the Americans choose our island to set up a military base. The lure of Yankee dollar appealed not only to the natives, but also our west Indian brothers and sisters.

People from Saint Vincent, Saint Lucia, Grenada and Barbados came to our island. They took up residence in both south and north areas, like   Moruga and Port of Spain and environs. Where close to their place of employment in either the oil industry or on the military base.

Both locals and immigrants alike from  east Puerto de  España  and environs, worked what would be considered menial job. The men worked mainly as labourers and the majority of females worked as domestic workers for the middle and upper class in society.

Then in 1970's, just south of the Lavantille hills.  A low housing scheme was built on lands in between to major roads. That leads into and out of Puerto De España to the eastern  coast of this blessed nation.

Just like the "hills" as it is referred to a lot of the immigrants from the smaller islands, and locals who had come from the country districts also in search of a better life and work. Flocked to eastern part of the city as well.

Were placed in these housing schemes  after being regularized as citizens under the P.N.M the ruling party at the time, to secure votes.

These east Port of Spain neighbours have remained loyal to their party.

The constructing of  these housing schemes coincided with and even bigger oil boom in that decade.

Money was flowing like water in the country, even though the top of the food chain got a way bigger slice of the pie. Even those at the bottom of the food chain was able to live comfortable off the crumbs, that trickled to them from on top.

Life for them now was a far cry,  from what it was when they lived in their homelands. Many of whom I may add were still colonies nursing from the breast of their mother the continent  Europe.

I want to add here that in 1979, the price of oil per barrel peaked at $121.28, one of the highest prices in history.

To these people this was like a dream come through.