Pride and More Pride

As much as east Puerto de España has developed a negative stigma. There remains a positive stain on the area as well having done extremely well in the advancement of preserving the cultural norms.

Of what little African customs that could not be taken away, from a people that were broken in sprit and mentally and physically abused.

The entire area of Laventille from Morvant in the east to Piccadilly Street in the west and Picton in the north to Sea Lots in the south has been known to not only produce world class sports ambassadors but also beauty queens, calypsoians dancers and also businessmen/women, Politicians, doctors, lawyers, and engineers.

Laventille and by extension La Trinity are credited with being the only country, to have invented the only musical instrument in the 20th century. The steel pan.

The steel pan or steel drums at it is usually called was made in the year 1947, when 55 gallon industrial drum was fashioned and heated to make different note sounds when played.

La Trinity prides itself on having the eight wonder of the world.

What is this? You may ask.

During the French occupation of the island in the 1700's, the African slaves upon emancipation took their camboulay , they also made costumes of their former masters as a way of making fun of them.

Two days of street parades by bands of costumed men and women, dancing to the beat of improvised instruments like the bottle and spoon, iron and bamboo which they would strike the ground with while they sang as the parade moved along the streets.

These improvised instruments eventually led to the accidental discovery of the oil drum instruments. Two Laventille sons of the soil Winston "Spree" Simon and Ellie Mannette are credited for this invention.

The steel pan has now been a permenant fixture in the carnival season. And is now played around the world as far as Japan.

Who would have thought that two Young men from a low income community, in an even minute country in the world would be credited with a major contribution in musical instruments.

You would think these people should be a proud people.

Tell me where did it all go to.