Gone Where?

It is normal human nature to want the best for themselves, and their families. A parent will go to great lengths, to give their children a better life than they had themselves.

Most West Indians dream about crossing the Atlantic Ocean, by boat taking 2-3 weeks to reach the promise lands of the United States of America and England.

The promise of "milk and honey" awaited them, when they reached there, or so they thought. Life across there was no bed of roses as they soon found out. The laid back life that they lived in La Trinity was no more.

The culture in England and America was different, if you don't work you don't get paid.

No  pay meant no home and no food,  unlike La Trinity where you can depend on even the neighbours that are not in good standing with you.

In these countries, not even your neighbours who live in the next apartment knows you, and you know them. Not even common courtesy is extended when you meet each other on the corridor or road.

You had to work hard and very hard at that if you wanted to survive.

I may add that because of the high value of the U.S dollar  and British Pound, most West Indians  misunderstand that "dollar for dollar"means just that.

They had no money to even come home for a visit. What happened next was they were basically stuck in these first world countries, working like slaves, while their children were left in the care of grand parents or aunts and uncles. In some cases friends of the family.

There were no mobile phones or laptops in those days. If where they  were staying, had a phone so their absentee parents could contact them they were considered lucky.

These children were called "barrel children", meaning the only contact they had with their parents was the barrel of the latest brand name clothes and shoes also the snacks that was sent periodically for them.

This was not enough as most of those children felt abandoned by their parents. As they could not understand the reason for their parents would leave them with " strangers" to go away and live.

Data shows that from 1966 to 1970, 23,367 Trinidadians migrated to America and from 1971 to 1975, 33,278 migrated as well but these figures declined in 1976 and onwards as the U.S imposed tougher immigration laws, making it harder to migrate.