We Will Take Care Of Them

The void left by absent parents and guardians who refused, or just could not help these" barrel children" of  La Trinity, was great. Some of those children were scared for the rest of their life.

As said before, the acquiring of the  material  bribes did nothing for them. They wore the clothes and shoes, ate the foreign foods.

Was also the envy of their friends in their neighbourhood who parents were still here or at least one of their parent. Most times it was their mother alone.

Daddy most times was either locked up, wanted nothing to do with his family, or had his own family on the side.

It was a cycle as those children grew up and did the same.

By the 1980's, the drug epidemic had hit La Trinity like a ton of bricks so to speak. Crack cocaine was every where.

The government also fueling this scourge by their involvement in the trade along with the small business elite( the ones i touched on in my previous book).  Used La Trinity as a transshipment point to get the drugs from there origin in South America to America and Europe.

Governments and the widely talked about elites used the same method as the slave masters before them. We call it mental slavery.

They could not themselves, after bringing in the shipments  sell them retail as well. So they needed a middle man to if need be take the fall.

Guess my readers who this middle man was?. If you said the poorer class in the society you are right.

East Puerto De España and environs became not only the middle man but also the users as well.

Here is a break down of  the system.  The elites through their businesses got the drugs through the already corrupt and porous boarders.

When it got there they would sell or give it away to the middlemen who controlled different parts of the Laventille community. They in turn distributed it amongst their men who then sold it to the users their own neighbours and family members.  

These "community leaders" in turn became the envy of their communities.

Likening themselves to the Italian Mafia Kingpins in America, they became legends in the community. Robin hoods so to speak any one in the community who had a problem, weather it was financial or other wise was taken care of. But at what price?.

They took these "barrel children" under their personal care. Showing them "love", "listening to them" when they needed  some one to talk to. Most of all showing those "hurt" children that they were "appreciated" and if no one else "cared" they did.

They got those lost boys and girls to trust them unconditionally.

The payment in return was to in turn work for them or as they put it " help" them out.

No body don't want you all but we do.