Seven.

I can't help but grin smugly as I place the final stack of freshly folded towels onto the large metal shelf in front of me.

Each day that I come into work, I have no idea what to expect. Obviously, it's a given that some sort of disaster is going to happen, but maybe today is an exception.

Kathy sent me straight to the laundry room this morning because the housekeeping department had a few people call in.

At first, I was a bit peeved considering that this area is probably over a hundred degrees, and the large dryers rumble so loudly that it's almost impossible to hear yourself think.

But this has turned out to be the most peaceful morning.

Not to mention, the skills that I have acquired from being a housewife are finally paying off, and finally, it's my time to shine.

My towel folding skills are hard to beat.

Sure, it would have been nice if Kathy would have been considerate enough to call and let me know to dress more appropriately. This isn't an ideal job to do with a long sleeve blouse and heels.

At least this is something that I actually know how to do, and I'm completely off of Kathy's radar for a while.

"Fantastic, Wren! You're the best." The housekeeping supervisor Sabrina gasps as she looks at my completed project.

"Thanks. I'm just happy that I can help you out."

"Get out of here for a break, and then meet me up on the floors. I need you to sweep and mop in the suites for us. Thank you again for offering to help."

Offering to help? I did no such thing. I didn't get a choice.

I mean, knowing myself... I would have likely offered anyway...

Of course, I'm not going to say anything. I just nod at her with a smile and quickly step outside of the stuffy room.

~~~

I stare down at my styrofoam cup of coffee on the break room table as Micah continues catching me up on the latest gossip.

"So anyway, Mandy bursts through the door and tears into Jerry for double booking the family suite, and it was fucking terrifying. But once Jerry was able to explain that it was only a typo, and not a double booking, the bitch just turns around and walks out of the office. She comes back thirty minutes later and tries to pretend that it never happened!"

"Mhm." I hum, not really interested.

"I've never seen her quite that mad before. It was kind of scary. Ya know, she hasn't even apologized to Jerry. It's like she is turning into Kathy 2.0."

"Do not insult her like that. She's just having a bad day. I'm sure she will come around and apologize soon."

"Why do you have to be so god damn noble?"

"Because somebody around here has to be!"

"Whatever. Anyway, I almost called you this morning. I thought you had quit or something. I had to work their breakfast all by my lonesome. Those divas had me running around today, too."

"Kathy doesn't want me in there."

"That's such bullshit."

"Meh. What can ya do?" I shrug and stand up from the table. "Anyway, I'm off to go sweep and mop. I'll see you around."