Thirty-Five.

Alright, here's the tea:

This chapter was so hard to write...Because I'm in disbelief that the things that Wren talks about are based on true experiences of people with her same background. My research for this was unbiased from current and former members alike. The stories from both sides match up; Just the current members encourage this and offer step by step instructions for new parents.

Again, Wren comes from a family of fundamental Baptists (Or Independent Baptists depending on who you ask.) A mainstream example of this type of religious group would probably be the Duggar family (19Kids and counting.)

I'm not trying bash this particular group of people, or offend anyone in any way. I'm just trying to tell a silly story. Please don't come to my house.

Treat People With Kindness.

~~~

"Ah! So good to see you, Ms. Brinsley!" Dr. Spencer greets me as I enter his office, "How've you been, love?"

"Great. How about you?"

"Ah, glad to hear it. I'm doing pretty good! I've been looking forward to your appointment, actually."

I'm not sure if that's a good or bad thing to hear from your therapist.

"Oh?"

"Yes, so I was going over your notes, and I found a few things quite interesting."

I hold my breath, not knowing what individual thing that could have stood out more than the others.

"While I was studying to get my Ph.D., my dissertation just so happened to be about the psychology of cults. "

"Um... Interesting," I raise a brow, not sure where he's going with this.

"So I'd like to ask you some questions about your previous religion if that's alright."

"Doctor, I don't understand. I didn't grow up in a cult... I was Christian. My family is Christian."

"When I say cult, what do you think of?

"Brainwashed people who worship a person, rather than God."

"You're right, but there are plenty of 'cults' that branch out from the larger, more mainstream churches, and start their own movements."

"Well certainly I would say that our way of life was different from the norm, but... I never associated my family or church with the word cult."

"So, let's explore this so I can get a feel of just exactly what you were born into."

My stomach ties itself up in knots, "Okay."

"So were your grandparents also a part of this church?"

"My father's parents, yes. My mother's parents no; Although they were very religious."

"So your mum was brought into this lifestyle from the outside..." He mumbles as he scribbles it all down, "Tell me about how your parents raised you and your siblings."

I gulp, "Very strict, from the very beginning."

"About what age would they begin to enforce their rules?

"They start obedience training when they're a few weeks old."

He gives me a look, "How in the world do you train an infant?"

"If the baby cries when they put them to bed, they leave them there all night. It's supposed to show the baby who's in charge, and that crying doesn't help."