Fifteen.

Disclaimer: Wren's family is Baptist and a part of the fundamentalist/'Quiverfull' movement.

Her character is based off what I have read from women who left this religion, as well as women who are proudly apart of it... because I believe she is currently somewhere in between the two.

I'm not in any way, shape or form bashing this belief system.

Treat people with kindness.

💚

The moment I enter the familiar house, I can't help but smile. Although this has become a place that I somewhat dread, it's still my home.

"Wren!" My not so little sister, Violet runs up and nearly tackles me to the ground which causes me to drop my overnight bag. "I've missed you so much! Do you have any idea how hard it is for me to plan my wedding without you?"

"I still can't believe my baby sister is getting married! I'm sorry that I missed your nineteenth birthday."

"Don't feel bad sis. I understand. Besides, mom gave me the card you sent."

"Wrenny!" I let go of violet and crouch down to my five-year-old brother's height.

"Seb!! I missed you, bud."

I suddenly feel as if I'm being watched, but I think I have a good idea of who it is.

"Hi Mia, Hi Elsie," I say before rising up and turning around.

Since they are a bit older and are in the know of all of the family drama, it's clear that they see me in the way our parents paint me out to be... Their sister with a one way ticket to Hell. Luckily Violet is much more openminded than these two.

Mia scoffs and briskly stomps out of the living room sending the message loud and clear that she doesn't want me to be here.

"Hi." Elsie addresses coldly, her blue eyes staring me down.

Thankfully the interaction is over when I see mom and dad come down the staircase.

My father coughs, "Hello, Scarlett."

It takes an infinite amount of energy to stop my eyes from rolling.

He must believe that it's too endearing to call me by my middle name... the only name that I've ever gone by.

Mother laughs and lightly taps his chest. "Honey you know that she doesn't answer to that. Hi sweetie!"

Oh, mom, you know better...

"Do not touch me, Hannah." Dad snaps at her, pushing her hands away.

There it is.

She stammers, "I'm so sorry dear. It's just that I don't understand what the point of you calling her-"

"Drop it."

I close my eyes, wishing more than anything that this quarrel of theirs will just end. "Hi mom, hi dad."

Mom sighs in relief, "I'm so glad that Brady got you here safely. This is the longest we have let him drive by himself since he got his license. I prayed for you all day."

"Yeah, the ride up here was great." I lie.

If great means sitting in a car for three hours with an angsty seventeen-year-old boy at the wheel.

"I'm going next door. I need to do some final preparations for Monday's service." Dad announces before shuffling towards the door before any of us could respond.