Nine.

I quickly say a word of prayer as I sink into Oliver's old desk chair.

"Please Lord, make this all work somehow."

I don't even have to do the math to know that this was going to end up in God's 'unanswered' pile.

After carefully keying in the amount of each monthly bill into the calculator, I refuse to accept the first result.

Nor do I accept the second, third or fourth.

It's the fifth time that I finally accept that I'm going to be approximately $237.84 short each month.

I laugh humorlessly in an attempt to put off the inevitable mental breakdown that is sure to happen.

Who really 'needs' groceries, anyway?

Taking a good look at all of the bills, I search for things that aren't necessities and make a list of things I can do without.

Internet?

But without internet, that would mean I would have to cancel my security system.

That's out of the question.

Cell phone?

Honestly, the thought of being unreachable is kind of freeing. I can always make calls from work if I need to. I cross it out.

Car insurance?

My Car?

My bottom lip trembles at the thought of having to let it go.

"Okay doll, don't look yet," Oliver said as he led me outside of the house.

I giggled in confusion, "Ollie what on earth are you doing? Where are you taking me?"

We stepped off the porch and he lifted his hands off my eyes.

"Okay... open."

My eyes blinked open and I saw the yellow Honda Fit parked in the driveway.

It was the car that I had always wanted. The right color, and everything.

"This... this is m-mine?"

"This is all yours, Precious. Happy birthday."

Oliver had saved up for a couple of years to be able to buy it for me. He was so excited that he was able to find a good deal on one just before my twenty-first birthday. Smiling fondly at the memory, I go ahead and cross car off the list.

I can sell it, and that way I can have some money in my savings account. Sure, taking the bus is inconvenient, but it's more practical for the financial situation that I'm now in.