Harry

"You're okay," he strokes my forehead. "You passed out. Here," he hands me a few pills and a glass of water. "For your headache," he smiles softly, fingers carding through my messy curls.

"I...I can't remember much of anything."

I swallow the bitter pills and take a large gulp of water.

"But you were there with me," the wheels churn in my head. "That's all that mattered. I wanted to be close to you."

"Me too," he murmurs. "I should get you back home. Your mates are probably worried sick about you."

"Wait," I cry out, voice strained. "Just be here with me now."

He buries himself under the sheets, space between us and I move closer, our fingers brushing.

"You're always so cold."

I'm huddling closer, snuggling up beside him until he grows warmer and there's a faint smile on his face.

"Thanks for taking care of me," I whisper, reaching for his hand.

Our fingers lace together and my heart grows fuzzy, cheeks flushing as he studies my features.

"You're beautiful," he exhales. "I just thought you should know that."

"So are you," I reply truthfully, taking his face in my hands, thumb swiping under his sharp jaw. "I almost died this week," I mutter. "I've never really been scared of death but it's always lurking you know? I never thought about it much until now. It was a wake-up call."

"You should never be scared," he assures. "Don't dwell on it too much, just live in the moment."

"Carpe fucking diem," I grin.

"Exactly," he chuckles. "Why were you at the bar last night, any particular reason?"

"I was upset," I sigh heavily. "I worked really hard for a promotion and they weren't suppose to announce anything until next week but suddenly I get this email and...it wasn't me," my brows scrunch together. "I don't know what I did wrong."

"You shouldn't beat yourself up over it."

Then he hums, fingers brushing through my tangles and I close my eyes.

"Please don't fall asleep," his voice quivers. "Stay awake."

His eyes are filled with fear and I wonder what suddenly got into him.

"Okay," I reply cautiously. "Maybe I need a cold shower or some coffee."

"So you can spill it on me," he smirks. "Maybe I should pour it."

"Stop," I pout. "It isn't funny."

"Sorry," he laughs lightly and rolls over, getting up. He winces and grinds his teeth as his body bends. The hem of his shirt rolls up slightly, a sliver of tan skin and tight muscles showing, rippling as he stretches.

Again, he grimaces and I'm there, placing my hand on the small of my back.

"Are you okay Zayn? Are you hurt?"

"M'fine," he grumbles.

I catch a peek of his skin and stumble back stunned, heart plummeting to the bottom of my chest.

"Harry I can explain," he licks his lips, brows knitted together.

"This isn't okay! It isn't," I scream. "How did this happen?"

"It'll heal."

"No, those are deep wounds Zayn. You need to go to the hospital. I'll take you, just put on some shoes and-"

"Please," he rubs at his temples. "I don't want anyone to see me like this."

My heart is pounding out of my chest and I step closer, collecting him in my arms, clutching to him like he's all that matters.

"I'm so sorry," my voice breaks.

His body is shaking, warm tears soaking my shirtsleeve but I don't mind at all. Whatever helps him ease the pain.

When I pull away he hides his face in shame and I wonder what kind of person he is. He told me to keep my distance but I didn't listen and this is...I don't know what to think. Who would beat him and why?

"C'mere," I take his hand in mine and lead him to his bathroom, switching on the light. "Sit down," I order patiently.

He does, bum squirming on the edge of the bathtub.

"We have to clean it out."

"No, I'll be fine."

"It can get infected," I huff.

I dampen a wash rag and squirt some gentle soap on it, gently pressing it to his skin. He hisses in pain so I give him a moment and rummage around in the cabinets until I find some antibiotic ointment.

"You'll be okay," I murmur, kissing the apple of his cheek.

He's biting his bottom lip, blinking rapidly but he can fall apart if he wants to.

"It's okay to cry. I know it hurts."

"You're an angel," his voice trembles, lip wobbling.

"I can promise you I'm not," I grin and sit down beside him, entwining our fingers.

Slowly but steadily, I bring his hand up to my lips and kiss it.

"At least you're warmer now."

His eyes search mine and he's scooting impossibly closer, hands cupping the nape of my neck as he kisses me.

Passionately, tongue parting my mouth. I feel giddy, heart fluttering in my chest as he tugs at my hair. My moan hits the back of his throat and he pulls away teasingly.

"Maybe you're not an angel but you're damn close."

"Stop," my cheeks redden. "I thought you didn't want to be friends."

His face drops and I instantly regret my words.

Print them out like receipts. Take them back. Take them back. Return them, stuff them back into your mouth, cram them.

Rewind time.

Do something.

Say something.

"This is so wrong. I was so wrong," his jaw twitches. "I shouldn't have kissed you, I-"

His eyes flash with something wicked. A deep animosity and I shiver, backing away from him, heart shuddering; locking itself up in my ribcage.

Burning amber, fueled by something powerful...something I can't quite put into words.

"I never want to see you again."

My mind is faltering. He just pierced my heart and it's deflating, my body shrinking back.

"I don't understand, I-"

"Just go," he exhales heavily.

"Zayn why are you doing this? We can talk about this. Whatever it is that's bothering you-"

"Go," his body tenses. "Now."

Cold hands, a cold tone but his heart? Is it cold too?

The softness in his eyes is gone and so am I, pulling on my shoes and heading towards the door.

I glance back but he isn't even looking at me, his gaze is distant; aloof and a cool breeze blows past me as I exit, the door snapping closed behind me.

It's always so cold.

A/N: way to break him Zayn