Harry

"Zayn," I call out, hair a mess as I rush through the door.

There's no response and my heart drops just a little, my yearning growing. It's crazy how much I miss him.

My phone rings and I press it between my ear and my shoulder as I nearly trip taking off my dress shoes.

"Harry Styles, EY-"

The man grumbles on the other end of the line before rattling off a string of complaints about not receiving a sales discount on when he ordered "well within the discount period," and I fumble for a pen, jotting a few things down.

Why'd I take this job and why was I so enthusiastic about getting the damn promotion?

"You listening kid?"

I set my jaw tight and fake a cheery attitute.

"Yes sir, I'm very sorry about that. Truly sorry. Tax season is drawing near and-"

"I didn't ask for excuses," he snaps. "Someone needs to fix this. You're in payroll, I was told to contact you. Can you help me or not?"

The door opens. Zayn is carrying a plain brown paper sack with handles and a vibrant bouquet of flowers.

"Yes, of course! I'll take that amount off for you, just let me-"

"I don't have all day. I'm supposed to be in Shanghai-"

Zayn sends me a sympathetic look and after more bickering I resolve the issue and hang up, rubbing at my temples.

"What gives," he chuckles, trimming the stems and dropping the flowers in a vase.

"Cranky old people. Why the flowers babe?"

He wraps his arms around me and kisses the tip of my cheekbone.

"Just thought it was a romantic gesture."

"I wanted to be a guitar instructor," I sigh dejectedly. "Why'd I go to business school?"

"It's okay, relax."

I sink into the couch and he massages my shoulders.

"Ben wants me to transfer to headquarters in London. Can you believe that?"

"Well, are you considering it?"

I shake my head, eyes closing as he kneads out the knots, all the tenseness leaving my body.

"My heart isn't in it anymore Zayn."

"Your job you mean?"

He stops and pulls me onto his lap, fingers carding through my curls.

"Yeah, not us. I'll always be invested in us. What should I do? I feel really lost right now."

"How much is it worth to you?"

Not enough.

"I thought I had everything figured out, that's what is so scary about this. My job is steady, it's routine. I'm climbing up the corporate ladder, one rung away from big success but my mum died and everything is spiraling out of control. I'm just not starting to realize what makes me truly happy and she was a huge part of that and...of course I fell in love with you. That changed everything."

"How so?"

"It feels like a bigger purpose, watching you fall in love when you thought you didn't deserve it. At the end of the day that means a hell of a lot more than being cramped up at some cubicle."

His thumbs rub little circles into my hipbones, mouth working at my jaw.

"Z-zayn," my cheeks flush. "What did you buy?"