death eleven

We bask in the sun and he's spot on. The two of us seem to dry in a matter of seconds. It's getting colder though, a chilly breeze passing by and I pull him into my arms, chin resting on his shoulder, hands lost in his soft tufts of hair.

"Are you getting hungry?"

We both laugh as his stomach rumbles, the perfect anwer to my question.

I get up and brush myself off, popping open the trunk. He nudges me gently and I give him my full attention.

"Yes babe?"

"What's with the blankets and the latern?"

"Thought we'd make a day out of this," I shrug before pulling out the cooler. "I made chicken salad sandwiches and there are grapes and strawberries. Oh wait-"

I go around the car, searching the console until I find some antibacterial wipes. He wipes his hands clean as I lay out the quilts.

"All I brought to drink was bottled water."

"That's alright," he grins. "This is all so thoughtful."

His skin is glowing, cheeks tinted pink. I study the soft sweep of his lips as he talks, mesmerized by how beautiful he is.

"You know...I'm not afraid of death."

I frown, collecting him in my arms.

"It's just a natural thing. Besides, I've been so content lately. I feel so incredibly blessed and happy that if I died I wouldn't feel shorted."

I'm death. My heart tumbles in my chest. He has no idea but here I am, enveloping him.

I feel guilty. He's so young. Hasn't he been through enough lately? Why do I have to take his life so soon?

Warm tears are welling in my eyes and spilling down my cheeks.

"Zayn," he murmurs.

I let go of him, weeping softly until a warmth grows inside of me and he holds me, stroking my hairline, kissing away the tears on the tip of my cheekbones.

"It's okay. I'm very much alive. So are you. Sorry I upset you, I-"

"It isn't you," I say, voice strained. "I don't want to hurt you but I will. No matter how hard I try, I'll fucking hurt you."

"No babe," he massages my shoulders. "You'd never hurt me."

I hiccup painfully and sniffle, rubbing at my puffy and swollen eyes. He's made me so weak.

"Hey," he cups my cheeks, eyes searching mine. "I love you. You know that right?"

My heart is sinking and my head feels heavy but I nod weakly in response and he kisses my lips gingerly.

"Maybe some food would help," he chuckles. "Sometimes I get moody when I'm hungry."

I nibble on a sandwich but I don't have a large appetite. I feel sick to my stomach.

He places the back of his hand on my forehead, concern written all over his face.

"You feel really warm."

"For once," I try to joke.

That doesn't make him cheer up, instead he uncaps a bottled water and passes it to me.

"Thanks," I mutter.

"You feeling alright? If you start chilling we can move back to the car, I shouldn't have pushed you to go swimming. The water was really cold and-"