He Stands Up For You

BEEP BEEP BEEP BE-
I slammed my hand down on my annoying alarm clock. Time for school. Yay.
I groggily got out of bed and went to my closet. I grabbed some black jeans and a white crop top. Our school isn't too strict on the dress code, so we can wear pretty much whatever we want.
Once I picked out my clothes I went to the bathroom to shower. After I finished showering, I dried off and got dressed. I then brushed my straight, waist length, black hair. I put on a little makeup because I never liked putting on a lot. It's like you can barely touch your face without ruining it.
    After I finished in the bathroom, I went down the hall to the kitchen. I made myself some cereal and sat down and played on my phone while I ate.
    I finished my cereal and put the dishes away. I walked by the fridge and noticed a note that I hadn't noticed before. It said:
Hey sweetie, sorry I couldn't say goodbye in person. Another early notice. I hope you have a great day at school. I love you!
                                Xoxo Mom
    Mom always has to get up early and I hardly ever see her anymore.
    But, I won't have a good day at school. Everyday I get bullied by the same people. Veronica and Stephanie. And their boyfriends Tom and Jack. Tom is Stephanie's boyfriend and Jack is Veronica's boyfriend. Mom doesn't know about me being bullied because she's never here long enough to talk about it.
    I grabbed my backpack and phone and put on my shoes and walked to school. Since it was only a five minute walk.

    I got to school and put my stuff in my locker and hurriedly grabbed what I needed for my first class. I slipped my phone into my pocket and went off to class.
    But I was too late. I only made it halfway before I was 'accidentally' tripped, causing me to drop all my stuff. I heard the laughter of my bullies, plus a few people around me.
    "Hey slut, could you show anymore skin?" Veronica said.
    "No wonder you've slept with every guy in the school." Stephanie added.
    "I did not." I said.
    "Did to." Veronica said. "Say what you want, but we all know you have."
    They walked away, along with a couple other people who were watching.
    I crouched down and started picking up my stuff. Someone else crouched down and helped me pick up my stuff. I looked up and saw a blond boy with blue eyes.
    We stood up and he handed me my stuff.
    "Don't let them get to you, okay?" He said.
    "I won't." I replied.
    "My name is Sam."
    "Melonie."
    "Nice to meet you Melonie."
    "You too. And thanks for helping me pick up my stuff."
    "No problem."
    Just then the bell rang.
    "See you at lunch?" He asked.
    I nodded my head. "See you then."
    We then went our separate ways.

——————•
Lunch came quicker then I realized and I was in the cafeteria getting my lunch. Once I did, I looked around the cafeteria for Sam.
I found him sitting near the back of the cafeteria by himself.
I walked over to him and sat down.
"Hi Sam." I said.
"Hi Melonie." He replied.
"Do you always eat by yourself?" I asked.
"No. Usually I eat with my best friend Colby, but he's away on a family trip."
"Oh."
We ate and talked and about halfway through lunch Veronica and her group came up to Sam and I.
"Trying to seduce another guy, huh?" Veronica said.
"No. We are friends." I replied.
"Sure you are. That is until you ask him to help you 'study' at your house."
I rolled my eyes and ignored her.
"Answer me when I talk to you."
I just kept eating and ignoring her.
"I said answer me!" She said as she slapped the food out of my hand.
"What!? What do you want!?" I shouted.
All the talking in the cafeteria stopped and they all looked to us.
Slowly the talking came back when they realized nothing was happening.
"Why are you bothering her?" Sam asked. I could tell he was fed up with Veronica.
"What do you mean Sammy?" She said in a sweet and innocent voice.
"Don't call me that."
"Anyway, Melonie, how's the family?"
I flinched because she knew that was a sensitive subject.
"How's your brother and father? Oh wait! They're dead. Because of you."
"No, it's not because of me."
My father and brother were killed in a car crash because they were on their way home for my birthday. They were late because they went to buy me a late present and were trying to rush so they wouldn't be late. Since then my mom had to work as much as she can so she could take care of us.
"How 'bout mom? She's so sick of you, that she chooses to leave every morning for 'work' so she doesn't have to look at you anymore."
My fists were clenched under the table and I felt tears rim my eyes as I looked down at the table.
"C'mon. Talk to me."
    "Fuck. Off." I said after being silent.
    "Excuse me!"
    "I said fuck off!" I shouted as I stood up, facing her. I knew I stepped out of line for her, but I didn't care.
    She did. She slapped me across the face and I fell to the ground.
    "Veronica! Stop it now!" Sam shouted.
    "Why are you defending her? Sammy, you know she's just a good for nothing slut."
    "No! She's not! She's the best girl I've ever met! And, just so you know, I saw you get all 'touchy' with the quarter back. So of a matter of fact, you are the slut."
    Jack looked angrily at Veronica.
    "You really didn't know? She hits on like every guy she sees. She hit on me this morning. And Stephanie, I saw you kissing Max by the fountain." Sam continued. Now Tom was looking at Stephanie with disbelief. "You guys are so blind."
    "A-Are you kidding me?!" Veronica said "You really believe him?"
    Jack and Tom broke up with them right there and walked away.
    Veronica and Stephanie looked at me angrily.
    "Look what you did!" Stephanie shouted.
    She stomped out of the cafeteria with Veronica right behind her.
    I was still sitting in the floor holding my cheek, which is burning. Sam sat down next to me and hugged me. I hugged him back and silently cried. He rubbed my back in response.
    I really didn't care who saw us.
    "Thank you for standing up for me." I finally said.
    "Of course. I care about you. Even though I've only officially known you for about half a day, I feel like we've been friends for forever."
   "Me too."
    I looked up at Sam and he looked down at me. And slowly our faces came closer and closer together.
    Then, we kissed.
    Our lips moving in sync.
    After a bit we pulled apart and looked at each other, smiling.
    "Hey Melonie," Sam said.
    "Yea?" I replied.
    "Will you be my girlfriend?"
    I kissed him. "Does that answer your question?"
    He smiled and giggled.