Chapter 4

After dinner I went to my room and started sketching in the drawing book that I had bought with the few coins I earned as a child, I still remember scrubbing the floor or polishing the farming tools whilst working in the farms for about a month and then running off to the store to purchase this beautifully covered sketchbook. I remember then running home to my mother and asking her to show me how to draw like she did, her pride filled smile never faded from her lips as she brought out a quill and told me to draw whatever came to mind.

My thoughts were interrupted when Shadow snuck up behind me and started brushing my hair, I did not flinch since I was used to her doing this.

''Nightmare would you please change back to your real form'' she asked

She always knew that I only showed my true form to people I trusted.....and that was only a few people.....

I sighed but nodded my head and complied, I breathed out slowly as I focused and my reflection in my mirror changed, the straight black hair and hell fired red eyes changed to long wavy curly blonde hair and ocean blue eyes. Every time I changed back to my true form in front of others, people were astonished and amazed.

''Beautiful'' Shadow said with a smile as she brushed my hair and tucked some strand behind my ears

''Thank you'' I said with a warm smile

My sketch book lay open to a page that had a drawing of a man that stood guarded by the shadows in a small bedroom, he was standing and looking right at me with a smile that showed he was evil and his blood red eyes showed more evil than any madman could have witnessed in their entire lives.

''What's this?'' Shadow asked as she picked up an amulet that I had been given at birth, my mother didn't know where it came from but I could always feel that it was important

''A necklace I was given at birth'' I answered standing and taking it from her, it was a red dragon eye pendent that was surrounded by what looked like talons surrounding the pendant and holding it in place, it was on a gold chain and the pendant itself was quite heavy when I held it but felt so light when hanging around my neck.

''Who gave it you? '' Shadow asked me with a curious expression

''My mother..'' I answered as I stroked the pendent with my thumb

''You miss your family, don't you '' She said in a sad tone

She knew that I did not like talking about my past.....

''Yes'' I answered

''How did they die? '' She asked

I hated this question since it always brought back so many bad memories and I didn't want to show any grief in front of anyone especially if it was the one person that looked up to me the most

''It was an accident '' I said in a soft voice

I wasn't strong enough to protect her....

Shadow noticed the pain in my voice and looked away letting silence fill the room before she slowly crawled wrapped her arms around me in a warm embrace, she usually did this when I was upset and even though I would never admit it did help comfort me. Finally after a few minutes her breathing leveled out and she fell asleep, I smiled slightly as I gently lay her in my bed and covered her with the blankets, she let out a content sigh before rolling over making me laugh lightly. It wasn't long after I had laid down next to her that sleep took me into its dark embrace.

˜˜˜˜˜

I shot up out of bed when I heard my mothers' fearful scream, throwing off the covers as I ran from my bedroom and into the kitchen, only to be greeted by the sight of the shaking figures of my mother and brother as they slowly backed away from a tall man dressed in a fancy black and white suit, indicating that he was in fact a noble man.

''S...stay away '' My mother yelled at him in a shaky and scared voice

''Oh come on Zarielle just give me what I came for'' The man said in a threatening tone whilst approaching my mother and shaking brother.

''N...no you will not get my children'' she stammered in fear stepping in front of my brother defensively.

The man tilted his head back and let out an insane laugh that made me slightly cower in fear as he approached again raising his hand to strike my mother.

I have to do something.....if I don't........

Without a second thought I jumped onto his back and kicked him the back making him buckle into a kneeling position with a grunt.

''You little brat'' He yelled in anger making me shake slightly in fear, then with a growl he kicked me in the chest knocking me into the light which broke apart and the small fire caught onto everything.

With a groan I made myself sit up and tackle the man as he once again advanced towards my family, he shook me in an effort to get me off his back but I managed to grab a sharp knife from the counter and stab him on his right shoulder blade. He let out a scream of pain and swung his right arm out connecting his elbow with my head and making me hit the ground with a pained groan and a sickening thud, then the entire room lit on fire and a wooden beams holding the roof up started to creak and groan in protest until the beam crumbled, landing on my right leg and effectively pinning me to the spot.

The smell of fire and the sound of the groaning wooden beams filled the room as smoke started to grow thicker and thicker with each flame, my confusion was interrupted by the sound of my mothers' pain filled scream and through the smoke I saw the man had stabbed her in the stomach and let her body then drop to the floor with a thud. I yelled for her but she just lay still not moving and then my brothers' scream filled my ears, to my horror and through the thick smoke I saw the man picked him up and jumped out the window with him over his shoulder.

No.....it can't end like this......

''Rosanne'' my brother cried out in fear with his hand outstretched towards me in an attempt for me to rescue him, but before I could move he and the man smashed through the weakened wooden door and disappeared into the night.

No....this is all my fault...

I tried to call out for him but the smoke filled my lungs and I lay weak and gasping for air before a shadow speared in front of my and knelt down to me, his mouth moved in an attempt to communicate with me but I heard no words come from his mouth as my vision started to cloud and I let out a weak cough before my body could not take anymore and I passed out.

My fault......my fault......my fault......I'm sorry.....