Prologue: Stowaway

Alice's POV

I snuck up behind my friend Elizabeth and say "bo".

"Alice!" she shouts and pulls me into a tight hug. When I first arrived in England searching for my family. I meet Elizabeth and we became good friends, practically like sisters. So when her mother died and I heard she was moving to Port Royal. I decided to follow her and here I am.

"Let's sing our song" I tell her smiling. I had taught her the pirate song my mother used to sing to me. It was the only thing that ever made me fall asleep as a baby. Elizabeth nods her head and we hold hands looking out at the sea as we begin to sing.

"Yo ho, yo ho, a pirate's life for me, we pillage, we plunder, we rifle and loot. Drink up me 'earties, yo ho. We kidnap and ravage and don't give a hoot. Drink up me 'earties, yo ho. Yo ho, yo ho, a pirate's life for me. We extort and pilfer, we filch and sack. Drink..." we stop singing when someone places their hands on our shoulders. We gasp and turn to a dark brown haired sailor with blue eyes standing there.

"Quiet, missies! Cursed pirates sail these waters. You don't want to call them down on us now, do ya?" he asks us.

"Mr. Gibbs, that will do! " Lieutenant Norrington tells him sharply. I blush hiding behind Elizabeth, I've always liked James. But he'd never fall for an orphan like me.

"They were singing about pirates. Bad luck to sing about pirates, with us mired in this unnatural fog... mark my words" Mr Gibbs states.

"Consider them marked, on your way" Norrington orders.

"Aye, Lieutenant bad luck to have a woman on board, too. Even a miniature ones" I hear Gibbs mumble.

"Miss Smith why are you here?" James asks me.

"I think it'd be rather exciting to meet a pirate" Elizabeth tells James diverting his attention away from me. I give her a grateful smile.

"Think again, Miss Swann. Vile and dissolute creatures, the lot of them. I intend to see that any man who sails under a pirate flag or wears a pirate brand gets what he deserves: a short drop and a sudden stop" James explains. Elizabeth and I look at Gibbs who mimes being hanged with his scarf.

"Lieutenant Norrington, I appreciate your fervor, but I'm concerned about the effect this subject will have upon my daughter and her friend" the governor states. He is Elizabeth's father Weatherby Swann.

"My apologies, Governor Swann" James says before going to return to his duties.

" Actually, we find it all fascinating" Elizabeth and I tell her father.

"Yes, that's what concerns me" her father tells us. "Why are you here Miss Smith? Surely your parents are worried about you" he states. I look down sadly and Elizabeth wraps her arm around me.

"She has no family dad, and we're like sisters. Neither of us wanted to be parted so she stowed away on the ship. Please don't have her thrown over board" Elizabeth pleads.

"I'd never do that Elizabeth" her father assures her before turning to me. "Miss Smith you are more then welcome to live with us when we reach Port Royal" he tells me smiling.

"Really?" I ask smiling happily and he nods his head. Elizabeth and I squeal hugging each other while her father leaves. We look back out at the water and I notice a parasol in it. "Lizzy look" I tell her pointing and she looks at it. But we spot something else in the water, a boy on a plank of wood.

"Boy! There's a boy in the water!" Elizabeth shouts pointing at him.

"MAN OVERBOARD! Haul him in" James shouts to the soldiers. They pull the boy onto the ship and James says he's still breathing.

"Mary, mother of God" Gibbs says looking at something. Everyone looks in the distance, where a destroyed British ship is in flames. I gasp in horror before following Elizabeth over to the boy. Elizabeth moves his wet hair from his face and he grabs her wrist opening his eyes.

"It's ok. My name's Elizabeth Swann and this is my friend Alice" she assures him.

"W-W-Will Turner" he tells us.

"We're watching over you Will" I tell him smiling and he passes out again. Elizabeth pulls something from around his neck and I look at it. "You're a pirate" I mumble with Elizabeth as I take the medallion from her.

"Has he said anything?" a voice asks and we turn to see James looking at us. I hid the medallion behind my back as Elizabeth answers his question. Saying the boys name and that that was all we found out. Will was taken below deck and Elizabeth & I look out at the sea again. I see a ship with ripped black sails flying the jolly roger before closing my eyes.

A/N

Picture of twelve year old Alice above and picture on the external link of the ship with ripped black sails.