Chapter 9

Kyra's POV.

   All week have been busy for me. But finally we solved the conflict with company and the rest of the days left this week will be less stressful. I had to do all the work myself to solve the problem. I feel so tired. My shoulder muscles were stiff from all the stress I have been trough the last few days. I might need some back massage to relieve the aching.

    I turn around my chair to face a window behind me. The sun is already setting, reflecting it's rays on the tall buildings in the city. It is so beautiful. Every night as sun sets down the Amber city changes in to yellow/red fiery stone landscape. The city's name fits to it's appearance. Most of the Amber city's new buildings are made of glass. In a daytime it is sky blue until it changes to the color of this beautiful gemstone. Lot of people come here to see the changes. The streets are swarming with faces of different races from places afar. Amber is the largest city in this side of the world.

    My thoughts and my gaze shifts farther beyond the city's edge. It's nothing out there, just endless plains of sand - red burning sand. I haven't been traveling around a lot, just to some nearby cities. Everything we people need is located here in Amber, there is no need to go out there. Out in the desert there is no water, no food, no life. Only way to travel through dunes are with sand ships or well equipped and long lasting vehicles. I wonder how the world looked like before, before everything burned out. With trees, plants and all kinds of animals and living creatures. It's been 300 years since times world changed. I have read e-books and seen old pictures with green lush forests, colorful flowers, icy blue rivers and lakes. All of it looks so unreal, like some kind of fantasy - imagination.

I am very lucky to have some of luxury I see in these wonderful, time forgotten pictures. I am the only one who has the largest greenhouse in Amber. My mother started to build it when she met my dad. The large 1,5 ha dome is filled with large trees and bushes, some flowers, and some tiny life forms to sustain it's life. It cost a fortune to maintain it. In my life it might be the most valuable thing after my family and friends. I can get some fresh food from the plants I have placed to grow. It is a rare thing to get some organic food. Not all people can afford it. Most of the citizens are sustaining themselves with protein jellies, which are available on every corner. In my opinion they are disgusting, it has no specific taste. The ball of jelly just provides a living sustenance for us people to survive and get all the needed nutrients. All of it is artificially made. I have the privilege to eat real food at all times.

I might get some needed rest there. I love to spend my free time to take care of so unimportant, but at the same time meaningful living things. The first day we got home from CyRo Technologies, I took Mike to spend some hours in quiet and refreshing forest I have. We talked about this world and city and about my future, until he fell asleep. The refreshing air does unthinkable things to you. It's something everyone should experience. But I am afraid I can't let anybody I don't trust to be here.

People on the streets are admiring this structure from afar, as it is 4 m above ground. One side of the dome is on the edge of the city facing the dead land beyond. The other is located inside the Amber city - making a visible contrast between two so different worlds - worlds this place once was. Some parts of the city are sealed off from outside by glass domes to protect it from winds and sandstorms which are occurring time to time. The less important parts are left open protected only by crumbled walls - remains of city before. When the storms pass the damaged places are cleaned up and cheaply repaired if needed.

The warm evening sun is making me sleepy and I fall in light slumber.

"Ms? Ms? Kyra?" I hear Anna's voice.

"Yeah! I will be ready in 5 minutes!" I burst out, thinking my secretary need some documents.

" Hm! Sorry Ms, I just want to inform you the rest of the staff have left and I am leaving too. I have finished everything for tonight. Goodnight Kyra!" she smiles at me before closing my office door.

"Ahhm? Yeah! Good night!" I reply now to nobody as she have already left. Still feeling quite drowsy, I lift my hand to rub my forehead between my eyes.

"Oh my! Did I really fell asleep?" I ask myself out loud. I take a look outside my window. It is already dark and I can see a full moon rising from the icy looking dunes casting it's dim light on them. It still amazes me how much the landscape changes during 24 hours - throughout the day we are facing red sun blazed and in night time moon lit sand. Such a contrast in color.

I slightly rub my eyes to wake myself from sleep. "I have to get back home too. Still not enough of sleep. Aaawhh!" I let out a loud yawn as I am stumbling towards my elevator.

"Ahw! Just few more steps... my sweet sweet bed...I am coming.... just wait for me!"

Finally - after painful 5 minute walk down the office I have reached my bed. I fall right in to it on my stomach.

"One more week, one more week and I will have to take care of mindless machine. Damn! Why me? "

I fall in deep sleep thinking about the day I will meet it - meet him.