Chapter 16

Aghrr ... These voices ... Will they shut up?

I lazily tried to open my eyes, still hearing voices in my head.

"Hello? Hey! Can you hear me?" now I heard them more clearly.

"What? Who is talking?" I pushed myself up from bed to get a sense of what was going on.

"You big dummy! It is me, Sharlene! Where were you? Sleeping again?"

"Oh! Sorry, yeah, I was asleep."

    Somehow while sleeping I have managed to pick up the call from her. I have to remember to take off my ring when I go to bed. It is dark as I scan the scenery outside the window of my bedroom. I feel exhausted, my neck is stiff along with my shoulders, I feel physically broken. I don't know how, considering I have done nothing today. I gently rub my head taking my attention back on Sharlene.

"Hey! What's the problem, Sharlene?"

"Me and Laura are free now, so we would like to meet you up and check out your new toy. I know you went to pick him up today. Laura is dying here in anticipation to see him."

"Ahm! Sorry girls, but not today. I don't feel well and it's already too late. We can manage something tomorrow. You both come over to my place and you can have all your time with Bryce. OK?"

"Bryce? You named him Bryce. That's a cool name. How does he look like?"

"Not today girls. Tomorrow, tomorrow! Now - good night you both"

"OK ... Have a good night sleep you sleepyhead!" Before she finishes I hear a distant whining of Laura. Poor girl. Didn't get what she wanted.

    I take my time and sit on my bed looking at nothing. I should go home. I let out a long yawn and climb out of my bed. Opening a door I see the dim lights in hallway. Everything is quiet and I don't see a single soul in my sight. I let out another yawn. I start to stumble down the hallway in slow wobbly steps still in my drowsy state.

"Did you sleep well?" I hear a low voice near me.

"Wha...?" startled I turn around and see Bryce standing next to my bedroom door, tall and still, seeing his head slightly turned my way.

"How did you get here? You... you weren't here just minute ago!" I was still standing with my mouth  opened trying to come up with a reason in my head why I didn't notice him.

""I was. ... Since you came to your room."

Yeah, maybe I didn't notice him in the darkly lit hallway.

"I think you were supposed to wait for me downstairs, didn't I? Then why are you here? Who said you to come here and guard me in a place were it's not needed?" I slightly turn towards him with a light scowl  on my face.

    He shifts his large body and steps forward, making me make a tiny jump of his action. He looks dark and intimidating, his face is covered in dark shadows. His big, muscly body shifts in my direction making him look more menacing in dim night lights.

"I don't care. I am here to be your bodyguard and I am going to do what I was made for - everywhere and anytime."

"Who said you have to guard me, maybe it is someone else in this house!"

"It was programmed in to my system when I was made. So you are my priority."

     At this point I had nothing else to say, he had a point. I couldn't deny it, my father probably made it his priority to protect me as a first person. I started to walk towards the stairs to livingroom, still feeling weak and drowsy. I could feel Bryce following me but made no attention to him and his close proximity, knowing he would say the exact same thing. As I already have reached the living room I went for a door ready to open them, when I felt his breath on back on my neck. I froze for a second. This was too close for me.

"Where are we going?" I hear him rumble above me.

"Home."I answer him before taking a deep breath.

"Isn't this your home?"

"No. I live in different place by myself."

    I exit the house in a hurry and stop before facing Bryce. "And one more thing. I want you to stop invading my personal space. You don't have to be so close to me all the time. I would be very happy if you would remember that."

"OK. I will keep it in mind."

     We were standing still in one spot for a moment looking at each other, his face still as a night around us. After that we walked in silence trough the Amber city. It was late, but some streets were still busy with people, sounds and bright lights advertising services and shops everywhere. Loud music was heard from various alleys hidden behind the crowds of stylish and fashion crazy people. Some had weird and crazy haircut, mohawks, long colorful braids, mechanic accessories on their heads and other parts of their bodies. Even girls had the same kind of taste in fashion as men, having the same kind of hairstyles and clothes, some of them were more feminine dressed than others. I didn't belong in this kind of setting as my social status didn't allow it. I definitely stood out in this kind of crowd. And now with Bryce definitely even more, as he was towering over everybody else.

"There is something you need to know while you accompany me. You respect my personal space at all times, you do not speak to people unless you are spoken to, do not harm anybody if it does not endanger anybody or me, do not engage with reporters or anybody who wants to know details about my daily life. And... do not say anybody you are an android, OK?" He looked at me in silence as I presented him with my demands, while walking beside each other through the streets.

    We slowly approached my apartment. The cool air of the night had made me more awake, but I still wanted to sleep. In some way it was my 'sickness', sleeping and sleeping whenever I had the time to waste. Bryce was quiet all the way. He didn't seem to be the type who talks a lot which I was happy about. And I hope he heard and will take in consideration what I told him about his behavior around me, as he didn't respond after my request. The thought troubled me as I didn't have any idea of what he was thinking in these kind of moments. Does he even think, does he have thoughts? I have no idea.

"This is were I live and spend most of my time as well in my workplace across the street." I informed him while opening the elevator to my apartment.

Again - silence. I entered my apartment which was pitch black, the only light coming from the nightly city outside.

"Lights on."

The space light up as soon as I said it. I went strait to my bathroom to get my shower and left Bryce alone, I was too tired to care of what he will do while I am in there. After that I went strait to my bed not noticing Bryce exploring my apartment.

"Lights out."

The whole room was dark again, the only thing was my bodyguard's dark silhouette on the far end of my bed.

    It looked so creepy as I imagined him watching me. I should switch him off so I have easier time to sleep.

"Lights on."

    Indeed, he was watching me from above. I got off the bed and stood in front of him so close, my hands started to get sweaty. I wasn't quite sure how to do it, how to turn him off, but I have to try. I started to lift my hand over his huge shoulder when he suddenly grabbed it in a tight grip.

"What are you doing?" He said with a little hint of threat in his voice.