seven: so, we almost died

"Wait, you were there?!" Ned practically screeches.

"Shut up!" I whisper shout as Peter shushes Ned quickly. MJ even looked up from her book.

"Yes, we were there. And it was absolutely terrifying." I murmur, leaning over the table so we don't shout.

"What happened?" MJ asks.

"Tell us everything." Ned says. I look over at Peter.

"Go ahead." I tell Peter.

"Fine." He sighs. "So, I was walking her home last night because her brother ditched her, and those guys with the guns started chasing us. Like Mads said - it was terrifying. We hid in an alleyway..." Peter proceeds to tell them the whole story as I look up, watching as a Midtown cheerleader walks towards our table. Her blond ponytail sways as she walks, and the lights shines onto her perfect hair. She steps up to Peter with a pretty smile.

"Hey, Peter." She says sweetly.

"Hi, Julie." He replies quietly.

"So, um, are we still up for the library tonight?" She asks, throwing a polite smile at Ned.

"Sure." He says.

"Okie dokie. It's a date." She giggles.

A date?

"Oh, wait, sorry." She says, her smile gone. She squeezes her as shut as she blushes - a lot. "I didn't mean that, I'm sorry."

"It's fine." Peter chuckles. "I knew what you meant."

I can't help but feel jealous as she waves awkwardly and walks away. She's pretty, she's a cheerleader, she has clear skin...she's got everything I could only dream of.

"Julie Briggs, huh?" I say jokingly, hoping my tone doesn't come off too disappointed. I elbow his side playfully as he rolls his eyes.

"It's not like that. I'm helping her with her math class."

"So, tutoring." Ned says.

"And dating." MJ concludes.

"No," Peter snaps. "Just tutoring."

"She's hot." Ned says.

"Ned." MJ says. "You have got to stop saying that about every single cheerleader. I mean, honestly."

"It's true." He mutters.

"Yeah," I say softly. "It is."

Nobody hears me, except for Peter. He always hears me, I'm used to it. He just gives me an odd look before continuing on his lunch.

~~~

"Hey, you're Madelyn, right?" Julie says to me as I close my locker, swinging my backpack over my shoulder. I smile politely.

"Yeah."

"I saw your art up in Mrs. Bostra's room. It's really good." She says with a smile.

"Thank you." I say softly.

"And, um..." She starts, her cheeks slightly turning pink. "You two would be really cute."

"Huh?"

"You and Peter." She says, smiling like it's obvious.

"I don't...what do you mean? He's my best friend." I say, laughing nervously. She bites her lip.

"You don't have to lie." She giggles.

"I'm not lying."

"Okay..." She says. She doesn't believe me. "See you later, then."

"See ya." I say as she turns on her heel and leaves. I tilt my head as I watch her. I watch people throw side glances at her as she walks. How Flash smirks at her as she brushes past him. How his friend motions to her...yeah, that. And how she walks past it like it's nothing. Her chin stays up, she doesn't slouch...she looks so confident, and normal.