thirty: emptiness

The next day dragged on and on, and all I could think about was getting coffee with everyone after school. The four of us hadn't hung out together in what seemed like ages, so getting coffee with my friends was the only thing that kept me going through the day.

When the bell rings at the end of sixth period, signaling the end of the school day, I practically skip my way out of the classroom. I immediately return to my locker and gather all of my things, only to turn around to see a very disappointed looking Ned Leeds and an, as usual, slightly pissed off looking Michelle Jones.

"What's wrong?" I ask, raising an eyebrow as I adjust my backpack straps.

"Peter bailed." The two answer in unison without even glancing at each other. I purse my lips together and with a sigh a step forward, joining them as we walk out down the hallway together. Our steps fall into sync as we slowly make our way out of the building, and I bite my lip before saying anything.

"Did he say anything? Or did he literally just bail?" I ask as we push our way through the doors and step out into the crisp, autumn air.

"He came up to me and told me that he had stuff to do after school, so he couldn't make it. He said sorry, too." Ned replies simply.

"Oh." I answer, and it grows quiet as we make our way down the sidewalk. The skies are clear today, unlike yesterday, when it was a literal downpour. I think back to walking home with Peter as I step through a tiny puddle left behind from yesterday's rain. I almost smile to myself as I remember the two of us fooling around and getting each other soaked, but that ends shortly when I remember what Peter had said when I had continued to press him.

Why do you even care?

I shake my head, almost like I'm trying to clear my thoughts, and look up from the ground.

"You okay?" Ned asks.

"Yeah, I'm fine." I respond, offering a smile.

"So the other night I made a list of things for the four of us to do as it gets colder." MJ states out of the blue.

"Yeah?" Ned asks.

"What's on it?"

MJ pulls out her phone and unlocks it, opening her notes app and handing the phone to me. I start to read the list out loud.

"Corn maze. Pumpkin patch. Pumpkin carving. Trick-or-treating -"

"MJ, the last time we went trick-or-treating, we literally got no candy." Ned whines. "I am not going trick-or-treating again."

I continue to read off of the list. "Friends-giving. Multiple picnics in Central Park. Ice skating?! Oh my god, yes!! I love ice skating-"

"Never been." MJ says with a smile.

"Oh my god I'll teach you. We're going ice skating."

"The rink isn't even open yet-" Ned starts.

"When it opens, duh." I interrupt with a chuckle. "Okay. Continuing. Ugly sweater making. Ornament decorating. Gingerbread house -"

"MJ, it's barely even October." Ned mutters.

"Not true, today's the tenth." MJ snaps. "Of October."

"Okay, whatever. We're planning ahead. And we're doing all of this. It's important." I smile and hand MJ's phone back to her. "Thank youuu, MJ."

Ned's quiet, and I elbow him. He rolls his eyes.

"Thank you, MJ." He drawls.

We finally arrive at the coffee shop and Ned grabs the door for MJ and I, and as soon as we step into the coffee shop, we're greeted by the warm scent of coffee beans and soft jazz music in the background. Ned steps in behind us and we start to scan the menu before ordering. We place our orders and take a seat at a table in the back corner of the place.