seventeen: the day did, in fact, get worse

"It's been two weeks without any Spider-Woman sightings, and it seems as if the Spider-Woman is falling back and letting the Spider-Man take her place once again. The masked hero was last seen..." I roll my eyes as soon as the newscaster says that I'm 'letting the Spider-Man take my place', sliding my converse on over my black socks, then pulling my black sweater over my black dress. Today's the day of my dad's funeral, and I'm certain that I'm not ready.

Our aunts and uncles and cousins were attending, our grandparents were attending, and close family friends were attending, including my best friend, Peter and his aunt. I tie my shoes and sit back onto our couch, exhaling softly.

"Lucas, hurry up!" My mom shouts, running like a wild animal through the small apartment. "I can't find my heels. Or my earrings. Or my cardigan. Or my purse. I don't know what to do. I-"

"Mom, calm down." I say, standing up. I point to her purse, which is sitting on the floor by the door, and she sighs and hurries over to it, barefoot. I pace back to her room, tearing through her shoes and making quite a mess, eventually finding a pair of black heels and carrying them to her.

"Here are your shoes," I say. "where did you last set your earrings?"

"Oh, it's fine sweetie, we're going to be late anyways....LUCAS!" She continues to shout.

"I'll go get him," I sigh, turning and walking back to his room. I knock softly, hearing shuffling and thudding.

"Lucas, c'mon. This is ridiculous. You know how stressed Mom is." I say, knocking harder. "I'll come in there. I don't care if you're dressed or not."

"I'm coming!" He exclaims, throwing the door open. He's dressed in navy blue dress pants and a gray sweater pulled over a collared flannel, a lot like Peter usually dresses. His hair is combed neatly, and there's not a trace of acne on his face, which I've always been jealous of. Right then and there, I can see why some girls at school practically swoon over my brother. Except for the fact that he's really annoying.

Lucas rolls his eyes and shoulders past me. I sigh, ignoring it, and follow him and Mom out the door, a heavy feeling in my chest.

~~~

The funeral service was slower than a country bus, taking just as many detours as one would. Everyone who attending had a memory to share, as well as a hymn to sing. I stood by my favorite aunt and my favorite cousins, aunt Eliza, Lyla, and Thomas. Everyone cried, and Mom couldn't hold it in when she stood up to say a few words. Every time I turned around, I saw Peter with his aunt's arm around him, tears falling down both of their cheeks. It was the worst.

But, I got through it, and as everyone was saying goodbye and giving hugs, I stood by Peter. We both stood in silence, and I watched as aunt May hugged my mom tightly. I finally looked up at Peter, tears crowding my eyes.

"Does it get better?" I ask softly, my voice cracking. He nods, a tear sliding down his cheek, and pulls me into a hug.

"It gets better," he mumbles, his voice shaking slightly. I can't help but feel terrible for him, he lost nearly everything, and when my dad died, it seems like it just brought all the pain back for Peter.

Over time, more and more guests leave, and soon, it's just Lucas, my mom and I, along with Peter and Aunt May.

"You really didn't have to stay, May." Mom says. May smiles softly.

"That's what friends are for, Charlene. If you ever need anything, call me." She says, holding my mom's hand. Mom nods and pulls her into a hug before Aunt May and Peter leave.

"Bye, Pete." I say softly as he brushes past me. He turns around and smiles slightly.

"Goodbye, Mads."