thirty-four: my lowest point, it seems

I don't care if Monday's blue,
Tuesday's grey and Wednesday's too
Thursday, I don't care about you, it's Friday
I'm in love

It's Friday morning and I stand at my locker, my eyes glued to my phone as I scroll through social media slowly. Both of my earbuds sit in my ears, playing Friday I'm In Love by The Cure. I'm in a somewhat decent mood when I feel someone tap my shoulder softly from behind. I turn around with a smile that quickly drops when I see the expression on Peter's face. I quickly pull the earbuds out of my ears.

"Hey-" I begin, but the words barely escape my mouth before Peter interrupts.

"Okay, Mads, what's wrong?" He spits out quickly.

I just stand there. I give no response.

"Madelyn?"

"...I-I, sorry, I just...what? What happened?" I stammer, confused. He gives me one of his looks. One of those looks.

"Do you mean what happened last night?" I ask softly.

"Yes. That, and you being so distant all of a sudden." He mumbles. I fall silent for a moment and contemplate what to say.

"Mads-" He starts quietly, shutting his eyes briefly before I interrupt him.

"Peter, I'm so sorry about last night. I was with Lucas, and we were busy, and I forgot about studying at the library, and just...I don't know, lately everything seems to be slipping from me, and I just...I don't know." I say. It comes out all at once. "But I'm fine." I add quickly.

"You're fine?" He asks, his eyebrows raised and his lips parted.

"I'm fine."

"Yet 'everything seems to be slipping from you'?" He says, giving me another look.

"Peter-"

"You're not fine."

"I am fine, Peter, I-"

"You're coming to the park with me after school."

"No, I'm no-"

"And we're gonna talk."

"Peter." I state flatly, briefly shutting my eyes.

"Yes?"

"No. I can't-"

"Yes, you can. I know you're free." He says flatly.

"Well, gee, thanks," I mutter.

"And you're gonna text your mom. Right now. And you're going to ask her - no, tell her that you're going to the park with me after school today."

"No, Peter-" I whine.

"Yes, Peter," He mocks. I roll my eyes.

"Get our your phone." He demands. I see the tiniest smile on his stupid face. I look him in the eyes with an annoyed expression and slowly pull my phone out of my back pocket.