Monday morning

Kadavule - Lord/God (Tamil)
Atthige - Sister-in-law (Kannada)
Chikkappa - Father's younger brother (Kannada)
• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •

Itthaṃ vṛṣācalapateriha suprabhātaṃ
ye mānavāḥ pratidinaṃ paṭhituṃ pravṛttāḥ
teṣāṃ prabhātasamaye smṛtiraṅgabhājāṃ
prajñāṃ parārthasulabhāṃ paramāṃ prasūte

Swarnalatha finished reciting the Venkateswara Suprabhatham and resumed her chores in the kitchen.

This was an everyday scenario at the Iyer's, basically Tamil speaking ones from Chennai. Jayram Iyer, had passed away two years ago leaving the responsibilities of their daughters, Sharadha and Samskruthi,to his wife. The two girls were brought up in the utmost traditional discipline. They respected and loved their mother immensely. At the same time, were talented in all verses. Samskruthi was a brilliant student and was completing studies in medicine. Bharathanatyam was one of the first among their expertise. While the younger was familiar with the art form, Sharadha was a professional dancer whose incredible knowledge had taken her to heights. Destiny though had a little too much to present in their lives.

"Samskruthi! Did you light the lamp or should I? " Swarnalatha asked.

"Haaa! Done with Thulasi pooja too. It's getting late, Amma. I'll leave. There is a surgery I will be assisting today. I have to be there soon" rang an alarmed yet sweet voice.

 I have to be there soon" rang an alarmed yet sweet voice

"Wait dear. I'm done packing. You just have to eat. Don't go with an empty stomach. You'll come back home sick again after hours in front of that blood! Kadavule! Children these days!"
Her mother shook her head quickly stuffing more rice in her mouth.

"That's enough Amma. I'll miss the bus."
She bid her mother and sister goodbye and walked swiftly to the stop where her college bus was waiting. She got in, taking a seat near the window and plugged her earphones. Bangalore was blissful that Monday morning and it was much more to this girl who dozed off on her way to the Bangalore Medical University.

• • •

"Abhi!! Thanu!! "
A booming shout brought the two on their feet immediately.
"I've had enough of these two. Will you come down? It's 7:30 already! Do you even remember you have an office to go to and she has a school! Abhi! " Chaya fumed packing her daughter's school bag.

"Good gracious, Chaya! The walls are showing cracks and, ah, I feel blood here." Arun pointed at his ear. "Where's my neck-tie? I had told you I have an early meeting today. " he managed to speak between his wife's rants.

Hailing from a family of Karnataka Smartha Brahmins who spoke Kannada, Arun Ramachandra married the beautiful lady who took care of everything in his life from the last  seven years. The brothers had lost their parents only a few months after Arun found his rightful position in their business market. Abhinav was still in plus two. The former sponsored his further studies and stood by him rather as a companion. Abhinav, though, loved and respected his sister-in-law a tad more. She had filled the void which was created after their mother's death. A year of Arun and Chaya's marriage and then entered the person whom Abhinav cherished the most. He was a doting uncle, whose affection sometimes even overtook Thanvi's parents'. Thus stood a perfect family of a four that he was grateful to be blessed with.

Rushing with a tray of mugs, Chaya placed it on the teatable in the living room and paced upstairs

Rushing with a tray of mugs, Chaya placed it on the teatable in the living room and paced upstairs. Just then Abhinav and Thanvi stepped out freshened up to meet an angry face.

"Darling, run! It's Hitler!!" screamed Thanvi.
Chaya chased them downstairs where they sat panting on the sofa.

Giving the three a stern look,
"You three will never ever change,will you? Drink that milk while I'll make breakfast." she said as she went towards the kitchen stifling a smug.

"Hey why am I included every time?! " mumbled Arun in disbelief, behind the newspaper. His daughter and brother giggled over their glasses of milk.

They picked their bags to leave soon after finishing breakfast.

"Abhi don't forget to pick Thanvi from her class this evening. Arun and I may be late. We also have to meet some friends. "

"Got it Atthige! See you."

He started towards the door following Arun and Thanvi who waved back at her.

"Arun! I'll be waiting near the office by six o'clock." she assured.
The siblings got into their respective cars while Thanvi hopped into her Chikkappa's.

Thanks for reading. Comments and feedbacks are welcome.