Bonus chapter 2

Just when you think it can't get any worse, it can. And just when you think it won't get any better, it will.
-Nicholas Sparks
.. ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ..

She closed her eyes trying to control the gush of  emotions as he inhaled her homely presence. He nuzzled into her hair after loosening it from the clip which was holding on. Fitting into his arms, she smiled and decided to break the silence.

"You're back?"
A mere whisper was only what escaped.

His lips lingered over her neck and shoulder blade after their fingers interlaced. He wanted to talk forever but Alas couldn't get enough of her to start. She let the moment be and gave in.

It had been fifteen minutes since they'd met but not another word spoken between them. She leaned on his chest, the easy chair in the living area being their comfort, busy playing with his ring while he plainly stared at her caressing her back.

"How's Ammulu?"

She sat up and looked into his eyes. They were stressed and tired, but compassion and mirth had obscured them.

"Very naughty! Just like daddy."

At last they giggled and snuggling closer.

"You never told me."

"Srinivas uncle and I wanted it to be a surprise."

She fidgeted the collar button and rested on his shoulder tracing his chain with her nose.

"This sure was one big surprise! No wonder Uncle said he'll stay back in the office. I should've thought."
He scrunched his face tapping his index finger on his chin.

"Did you close the door?" Samskruthi rose to check only to be pulled back.

"I don't think I would have if I knew you were here. Luckily, it remained a surprise."

"Let's go upstairs."

"Yeah. I haven't even changed. This tie's choking me. "

"Dinner?"

"The staff had arranged a party."

"Party? For what?"

"Nothing very important. Now if I'm given a chance to make it up to my wife."

"Abhi! What is this?"

She could react, she felt bereft of the ground beneath her feet after which she encircled her arms around his neck and kissing his cheek.

"Is she alone here?"
He stopped in front of their daughter's room placing Samskruthi down.

"I wanna see her."
- - - -

"My angel!" he murmured admiring his little one who was fast asleep; a cuddly teddy bear clutched tight between her arms.

Samskruthi held the back of his shirt seeing him in tears.

"It's just-- just that.. I'm sorry."
His face was dull and something was definitely bothering him.

"We can talk in our room."
She held his hand and motioned her chin towards their bedroom.

Before they left, he kissed his daughter's knuckles and covered her with a warm comforter.
- - - -

Samskruthi changed into a satin, white nightgown and settled beside her husband on the mattress tying her hair. He was in briefs and a track- pant, still going through a few PDFs and emails.

"Aren't you tired yet?"

"End of the month, sweetie."

"Well, tomorrow's the weekend. Can we go out? Akruthi would be elated to spend time with you! She hardly gets to see you thrice a year."

Samskruthi was late to realize that she blurted too much. The exact too much she tried hard to hold on to the entire time.
"I mean--"

"No. That's -- that's right."
He shut his laptop, shoved it into its bag on the nightstand and sat drooping his head.

She walked to his side.
"Abhi, why are you sorry? I share equal fault if you call it so, for taking this decision." she consoled pulling him to herself.

"I'm not a good father, nor a good husband either and definitely not the perfect family man."
He was already anguished.

"I would've killed my own child if it wasn't for you. That thought! It gives me nightmares every single day."

"Abhinav! Why in the world are you thinking of all that, alone in this place? Moreover it's years! Stop blaming yourself. You never had intentions to do so. Why don't you understand? I'll take you back home if I hear this again."

"It's been two years since I left you there with the kid." He sighed.

"There was a reason. You're not staying here forever. We had our priorities and ofcourse the child is being given all the care and attention she deserves. Trust me. She loves you! Perhaps more than me!"

She gently pushed him on the pillows and cuddled his face.
"It was me who must've given up my job."

"But I didn't want that to happen. Just because I had to come here inevitably, did't call for you to sacrifice everything and tag along. The hospital was your dream. I wanted to make it come true and I did. After travelling so far, there's no turning back."

"So how longer?" she asked, their eyes far from meeting eachothers.

"You'll know. Is it difficult managing everything back there?"

"Not when Sharadha Akka's there! Varun sticks to Ammulu, never leaving her side. Bhava calls himself my driver, you know. He picks me up and drops me everyday. I think I'd told you this."

He picked up a notebook and stroke a slant line over four others.
"Five. This is the sixty.... fifth time. See, I have count."

She swatted his shoulder and laughed.

"I have plans--"

"I'm ready."
He flipped her beneath him.

"Insane! I was talking about tomorrow's picnic."

"Tomorrow can wait. "

He unzipped her dress and slid his hands inside sending chills down her spine. The rosemerry shade that spread across her face increased intensity. His lips knew the art of love making so well that she couldn't ask for anything better. She flinched at his touches and tufted his hair tightly as he sensously fulfilled all her needs.

"Maybe we could wait to get back together." he winked resting on her chest.

"Get back together?"
She blushed when realization dawned upon her.

"I would then be an irresponsible father of two or how about twins?" he teethed her collar bone.

"That's it?"

She averted her gaze away from his. This was not the right choice of words.

"I will love you the MOST."
He switched off the lights and continued from where they'd halted.
- - - -

Abhinav woke up to the sound of bells. Sleep was usually at his alarm's mercy but his wife had her own way to start his day. The aroma of fresh flowers and camphor had already encroached every nook and corner of their house.

He peeked into Akruthi's room and saw her still asleep. Duh! Ofcourse, she was Abhinav Ramachandra's daughter and policy number one of the family was : UNLESS SOMEONE WAKES YOU, NEVER GIVE UP ON SLEEP.

"Can't wait to see her. Wonder what she has to say?"

His mornings were never this enthusiastic for the past six months!

.. ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ..

To be continued..

Second update of the day.
Tell me how this is, please! 😊