A New Turn

"Kruthi.. I mean Samsk.."
"What's wrong with Kruthi? " she blurted and pursed her lips closing her eyes.
Raising his brows, Abhinav closed the gap.
They had stopped by to have her favorite drink, tender coconut, thus marking a sweet end to they're lovely evening together.
"Abhinav what are......" she backed speaking hesitantly.
"Why not Abhi when I call you Kruthi? It'll sound much better" he snapped in between winking at her, which made her gasp.
She whished away blushing and stood by his bike running her hands over her bag's strap.
Throwing the empty shell away , he paid the money. Not a word did they speak until he halted beneath a tree at the end of the street. Her house was a little distance from there.
She slowly desended. Still not lifting her head, she meekly voiced a thanks and tried to turn but was immediately held back by Abhinav who grabbed her wrist.
"That's it?"
Her eyes were now wide as ever and she looked around to see if anyone was watching. But alas, being a residential area, the street was least busy keeping them safe from people's eyes.
"Thank you? That's it?" he repeated "Didn't you forget something?" he continued, pulling her slightly closer. Her heart skipped a beat as she exhaled hot breath.
"A.. Abhi...... "
"You forgot the prasadam" he said giggling. "Here." Saying so he handed her the packets containing vermilion and thulasi he had stuffed into his pocket before leaving the mantap.
Shyly she was about to move away, but he tightened his grip.
"I wouldn't like to see you shedding tears again Kruthi. Your smile is divine."
This time Samskruthi looked straight into his eyes. They clearly reflected the care he had for her and hid all the unsaid emotions.

"See you

"See you. "
She stood watching him as he turned the vehicle and rode away.
•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
After changing into her half saree, since it was Friday, Samskruthi sat in the prayer room along with her sister to recite the Lalitha Sahasranamam.
Just before they finished, they heard the doorbell ring.
"Vanakkam.. Ulla vanga! (Namaskar.. Come inside!) " exclaimed Swarnalatha bringing a man and woman to the living room. Sharadha and Samskruthi took blessings from the elderly couple.
"It's been long Gurukkal and Lakshmi. Varun was just ten years when we last saw you in Chennai" continued Swarnalatha.
Gurukkal was Jayram's colluege and the families knew eachother from years together.
"We had come to Bangalore for a marriage and decided to visit you Swarnalatha. Lakshmi couldn't even come for Ram's funeral" Gurukkal frowned. Everyone's face paled as the topic of Jayram was mentioned. Sharadha went inside the kitchen to prepare coffee for the guests. Just then Samskruthi's phone rang displaying Abhinav's number which she immediately put on silent mode.
"Chinna kolanda?(Is this your younger daughter?) " Lakshmi asked facing Samskruthi.
"Aama..(Yes) "
"See Swarnalatha, it doesn't matter how well we bring our children up. If we fail to notice them on a daily basis, there are definitely chances of them losing track. It's not that we don't trust them, but this thing called age listens to no one. Right? " Gurukkal stated.
Sharadha who was coming out with coffee cups in a tray, heard this and her eyes soon welled up.
"Well they say nothing is in our hands" Swarnalatha answered in despair looking at her husband's picture hung on the wall.
Samskruthi who was upset took the tray from Sharadha and gave coffee to everyone,while the latter returned to her room.
"Swarna, we also had another reason to come here" Lakshmi spoke having her coffee and eyed at her husband.
"Swarnalatha.. me and Ram always used to talk about taking our friendship to a relationship state. So why not get your younger daughter married to my son. He's practicing dentistry in UK. He'll be back in a few months after graduation. What do you say? " he asked.
"Gurukkal.. I... "
"Take your time Swarna. We're not in a hurry. We have to leave now. The flight is at 10. Here.. We had brought these" Lakshmi said handing a cover of fruits.
Samskruthi stood expressionlessly watching the happenings. A tear escaped unknowingly which she immediately wiped and ran towards the couple to give them thambulam (coconut placed on beetal leaves, given to a guest after their visit to one's house) and took blessings again.
"Stay blessed. Samskruthi I believe you heard us. We will be waiting for the reply" they said and left.

"Dear, I think it's good we take the next step."
"Amma, can we please talk about this tomorrow. Please... I have a severe headache. I'll go and sleep" Samskruthi said softly as she paced to her room. It was 8:30 already and Swarnalatha too was in no mood to have dinner with all that happened. She resorted to her room as well and went to sleep.

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Abhinav was restless with day's incidents. After dropping Samskruthi, he went home, freshened up and gave a visit to his office. By the time he returned it was already 10:30. He changed and called her again. She picked up and stood near the window.

 She picked up and stood near the window

"Kruthi.. Why didn't you receive my call before?"
Tears silently rolled down her cheeks.
"Kruthi? I called you a few hours back. Didn't you see?" He heard her sniffing on the other side.
"Are you OK? What's wrong? " he asked anxiously.
"Abhi.." she said but cut the call unable to talk.

Worriedly Abhinav rushed downstairs and took his bike keys but kept them back thinking others might wake up to its sound. He sped to Samskruthi's house and in no time he was there.
"Kruthi.. Come downstairs.. I'm waiting at the end of your street near the tree" he said.
She was afraid, but her desperateness to meet him was beyond her fear. Hurriedly she made her way to the living room and feebly closed the door.
She was now in front of him, sniffing and wiping her tears. Without a second thought , she hugged him clutching his shirt tightly. He, who was apprehensive already, pulled her close to his chest and caressed her hair. She sobbed her heart's content while he silently rubbed her shoulder. He waited for her to calm herself so that he could speak.
"Kruthi.."