Sighs of Relief

Beep beep beep

The sound of the heart rate monitor made Abhinav's thoughts grow wilder. It was Samskruthi who had been severely wounded and now lying unconsciously on the bed of a nearby hospital. Abhinav had a few cuts on the arms and scratches on his face and neck which were immediately cleaned and bandaged. And all the while it was Samskruthi's condition that bothered him. His heart kept beating as fast as it could until he saw the doctor coming out of the ICU.

"Is she OK doctor? " he asked rushing to her

"Sir, are you the patient's husband? "
"Uh.. No... I'm.. I'm her fiance."
"Well, I would want to have a word with you. Please come in" she said walking him towards her chamber. They seated themselves but the next few minutes were filled with silence, as the doctor scanned a few reports and handed them to Abhinav.
"Mr..?"
"Abhinav"
"Mr.Abhinav, are your families aware of what has happened now? Are they on their way?"
"No ma'am, I came out getting my injuries dressed just before I met you. I'll have to inform them. Sams.. Samskruthi's alright,isn't she? " he stammered with the tears in his eyes almost flowing out.
"I'm sorry to say this, but we're trying as hard as we can. You'd have to be prepared for the worst of the consequences too sir. There's a major injury internally, if we succeed in treating that we can expect her back."

The world seemed to have shattered into pieces infront of him. Bursting with agony, "Oh no no doctor! Please please do something. Anything.. I can pay expenses to any doctor.. Please save her.. I.. I can't afford to.. To.. " he broke down into tears.
"Calm down Mr. Abhinav. We're trying our best."she said getting up adjusting the stethoscope around her neck.

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Chaya and Arun, were on their way to Samskruthi's house.
"Arun, it's better we tell her mother the truth. One or the other day, she will get to know. We wouldn't want her to blame us on that day?"
"I agree. Sharadha spoke with you right? What did she say? "
"She's not sure. So she asked us to take a decision by ourselves."
He parked the car in front of the house and got down.
It was priorly planned by Abhinav and his sister-in-law that while he would go pick Samskruthi up, she and her husband would visit Samskruthi's place and talk to Swarnalatha. Then the two would enter the scene and take the final step. But admist all the excitement and wait, something that no one ever imagined just happened. Unaware of all this Arun and Chaya went in to see Sharadha who had just finished with the classes. She warmly welcomed them with an expression of anxiety which she tried to hide. Chaya assured the former with her eyes just when Swarnalatha heard their voices and greeted them coming out of the kitchen.
"Namskaram. Please sit." she said.
Thanvi was now sitting on her father's lap.

"Namaskaram, Amma

"Namaskaram, Amma. Looks like you were busy. "Chaya said.
"No no" she chuckled wiping her hands with her pallu "just the regular chores. Today is Sankasti so not to worry about cooking"
Everyone shared a comforting smile and finally Arun decided to break the ice.
"We came to speak to you about something important Amma."
"Important?" she puzzledly asked.
"Yes.. It's about your daughter Samskruthi. We would like to have her as our Abhinav's wife. Would you please oblige to this? "he said in a go.

Swarnalatha wasn't surprised but instead smiled. "Marriage is an important event in everyone's life, son. It's your brother and Kruthi who have to take the decision finally. I... "
"Amma there's one more thing..."
Swarnalatha looked at Arun and Chaya.
"The truth is that my brother-in-law already likes your daughter. And.... so does she. We are thereby asking you on his behalf. Samskruthi is anything and everything we could think of for Abhinav. Why shouldn't we give a chance to their love?"
Swarnalatha sat mum for a minute. She looked at the couple and then her husband's picture on the wall and sighed.
"If that is what God has written in their fates, no one can change it. Looks like this was the reason why she avoided the previous proposal. I'm happy with Abhinav and you dear members of his family. I wouldn't ponder over the past and commit the same mistake we had back then. It's all His game. And finally it's all about our children's happiness" she said facing Sharadha, whose eyes were welled with tears of joy.
Arun and Chaya too smiled seeing the moment light up.
"Samskruthi is on her way with my brother, Amma. They will be here any soon. He has picked her up from the camp." Arun said.
"It looks like you all have gone a long way already. But it wasn't necessary. Until the engagement atleast" she frowned a little saying.
"They'll be fine. They're mature enough Amma." Sharadha spoke up finally convincing her mother who nodded at her.
"Daddy, will Samskruthi Akka marry Chikkappa now? And then what do I call her? Chikki(Pinni, Chitthi, Chachi in kannada)? "Thanvi asked making all of them laugh.
"She's not your chikkamma yet Chinni . They have get married then....."
And suddenly Arun's phone rang displaying an unknown number.
Within the next one and half hour, the family was infront of the hospital's reception counter. They were directed to go to the second floor.

Swarnalatha, Chaya and Sharadha broke down when they saw Abhinav kneeling down with his head placed on Samskruthi's feet. He was mumbling something as he whimpered. Arun placed a hand on his shoulder to which he trembled and looked up. Seeing everyone, he wiped his tears and spoke.
"The doctor said she's out of danger. They shifted her here ten minutes back"
All sighed in relief as Abhinav moved to Swarnalatha.
"I'm.. I'm very sorry. It's all because of me."
She patted his shoulder with a faint smile. "She's blessed, son. My daughter still has a long life to share with you. "

Blessed she was.

The satisfaction of the sound of his lady breathe near his neck was what restored his own breath. He kissed her thanking his stars.
But it was only Abhinav who knew what he had to go through and had to hear before they arrived. A shock which he couldn't digest for a while.
Still she would be his and he promised to give her a beautiful future.

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

An hour before:
Abhinav called his brother and explained the current situation calm enough so that they don't panic. He was again sent word by the doctor in a few minutes.
"May God bless her. She's responding to the treatment and is completely out of danger Mr. Abhinav! But I have to tell you something. Firstly how old is Samskruthi? " the doctor questioned in dismay.
"24 next month ma'am. Why? "
"It looks like the girl had stood up slightly due to shock at the time of the accident. She may have hit her stomach region to a hard surface. Her womb has been injured and there's internal bleeding. That means she will not have the strength to impregnate a child for atleast 5-6 years. Even if she tries, it would be at the cost of her life. So I suggest you wait for parenting, after your marriage. And yes.. We will be shifting her from the ICU in another 30 minutes."
Another shock after all that happened but Abhinav just nodded his head and left the room. Least did he think about what the doctor said. All that mattered was his Kruthi and now that she was safe, he was praying for her betterment.

He bent over and hugged her close showering her face with kisses after she was shifted to the private ward. She had just gained consciousness after a high dose of ivy and felt his hand in hers. Her eyes brimmed seeing the love of her life in front. Soon after the moments of sentiment and affection, he signalled her to rest and gently stroke her hair. That was when he recalled what the doctor said. He knelt down in front of the bed and put his head on her feet sobbing.
"Whatever destiny brings in, we're gonna fight together. It's just 5 years Kruthi. Yet I should have listened to you. I'm sorry.. I'm really sorry.."