Chapter 1

Is it still called "cheating" when you aren't the one in a relationship? Even if his girlfriend is your best friend? 

You're walking along the street with your two best friends, Jae and Sohyun - the longest living couple at school. It's nothing new that the three of you spend time together. Neither is it weird that you and Jae to hang out alone a lot. Though Sohyun has started getting a little anxious. And with good reason. Not that she knows there is anything to worry about.

For the past year, you and Jae have started showing more and more interest in each other despite having known each other for more than 10 years. And not in a friendly way.

Your feelings have developed so much, one would think you were in a relationship if they saw you. Except, you are not. And you can't change that. A fact that bothers the both of you deeply. So you're doing the next-best thing. 

Or. Maybe not. 

You don't want to hurt Sohyun; neither of you do. But you can't ignore your feelings either. So regardless of how wrong it is in all sorts of ways, you're having an affair with your best friend's boyfriend. 

"I guess I'll see you guys later," Sohyun says with an uneasy smile as we arrive at the gate to Jae's house. 

"You literally live right next door," you laugh. "You can see, and hear, us whenever you want."

And it's not even a lie. The rather large garden only stretches around two sides of the two story house, which is almost back to back with Sohyun's next door - the complete mirrored image. 

Jae pulls Sohyun in for a hug. She leans back her head and looks cheerfully up at him.

"Don't forget to call me later, okay?"

His lips spread wide in that stunning smile of his. You admire his handsome features, catching his attention for a second before you turn away. 

"I'm gonna go. Love you." 

With that and the sound of a kiss or two, you're left alone with your beau.

You turn around with a little pout. Jae's face lights up as he puts an arm around your shoulders and chuckles, "Come on," before pulling you with him into the garden. As you go through the gate, you spot Sohyun outside in the neighboring yard. 

You untangle yourself from Jae's comforting touch and, regrettably, create a smaller distance between your bodies. You stroll around in the surprisingly splendid weather, discreetly searching for a private spot where you can get a little more intimate. But everywhere you go, you detect Sohyun's laser-gaze point at you.

Finally, at last, you stop behind a tiny bush, just wide enough to hide both your bodies.

Jae quickly pulls you closer by the waist and your arms sneak up around his neck. You bite your lip and feel yourself get all shy under his loving gaze. Your eyes travel south but are soon brought straight back to their initial position, as Jae tilts your head back up with his index finger. You can't help but giggle at the cliché move.

He slowly starts leaning down, inching closer to your face. Your eyes are closing. You're anticipating the feeling of the long awaited contact, but pull yourself together the moment before it's too late. 

"She'll see us," you mutter.

"No she won't," Jae mumbles as a reply, clearly not patient enough to wait with the makeout session until you're inside.

"What if we get caught?" You push him back a little.

"Babe, I really don't care. Can't she just see us?"

You cock your head to the side.

"No? She's my best friend and your GIRLfriend."

"So?"

"Look. What we're doing is wrong as it is. She's not really a big fan of our friendship – plus she's already a little suspicious. We can't do it right up in her face. We'll hurt her."

"You're right. What we're doing is already wrong. So why should we care about keeping it as a secret? She'll find out sooner or later anyway."

"She doesn't have to."

"Well, she does, considering you're the one I want to be with."

"Jae..."

"Can I please just kiss you now? I'm getting really impatient," he asks, sounding needy for the taste of your sweet lips.

You grin as a reply and both start leaning in. He pulls you a bit closer as your hands find their way to his hair. 

But when his right hand starts sliding down your body, you have to stop, knowing what it could possibly lead to. 

You pull away just far enough for your foreheads to touch. 

"What?" he breathes.

"We can't. Not here."

"Have you got any idea how frustrating this is?" he sighs, definitely annoyed. 

"Look, I know you're annoyed. I am too. But we can't do this. Not here," you respond.

"Why not?" 

"Well, first off, someone could walk by and see us from the street. That's the enormous minus about this garden. Secondly, she'll figure out she can see us from out there soon enough. If she hasn't already," you explain.

"We'll go inside."

He just never gives up, does he?

"Your family knows about your relationship status. And they love her. They can't know about this."

"But they adore you."

Your heart skips a beat. 

"Jae..."

He sighs again and closes his eyes.

"I'm sorry. This is such a mess. All because of me," he says and buries his head in the crook of your neck. "If I could just end things with her and-"

"I know. It's okay. Me too," you cut him off, knowing how much it actually hurt him to not be able to publicly call you his girlfriend. 

"Why don't we go inside?" You suggest to cheer him up.

A weak smile appears on his lips.

"This is why I adore you," he whispers before quickly placing a sweet kiss on your lips and then leading you inside by the hand.

________________________________

And that was it!

What did you think? Was it okay? Please, feel free to comment your thoughts! I appreciate feedback! ^^

I'm gonna try to update once a week starting from today!

Thanks for your time! Until next time~~