Chapter 11

You slam your book down on the table the brunette boy is sitting at. A loud clash echoes throughout the otherwise silent library. His head flies up.

"(Y/N)," his soft voice says.

You greet the smiling face with a shout.

"What the hell do you think you're doing?!"

His smile is quickly replaced by a frightened look.

"Why are you going out with Sohyun when you know Goddamn well she's in a relationship?!"

You feel weird asking him that since you have been doing the exact same thing yourself. You really aren't any better. Nonetheless, you keep up the outraged facial expression.

"Wh-what are you talking about?"

"Don't play so innocent. I have known you since kindergarten. This is not like you at all. So why the hell are you doing it? It's against all the things you value and strictly live by!"

The limited amount of people in the library stare at you as if you're some crazy person.

Sungjin looks genuinely confused.

"Answer me."

"I don't know what you're talking about."

"Answer me!"

"I said, I don't know what you're talking about, okay?! I'm not in a relationship with Sohyun!"

You frown. He sounded sincere. And it really doesn't stick to his character to do such things. And why would he even? Why would he lie when you caught him with proof?

You stare him deep in the eye, brows still furrowed and eyes slightly squinting.

"We need to talk," you mutter, for the first time lowering your voice to an almost inaudible volume.

You rush out of the unnecessarily giant doors and wait for him on the field of green. Soon after, he too appears at the top of the stairs.

You calm yourself down, trying to figure out what questions to ask, as you're slowly making your way down the path to the busy street by the school.

"What do you mean, you're not in a secret relationship with her?"

"Exactly that. I'm not seeing her. We're not dating."

"But why does she have pictures of the two of you kissing?" you ask, emphasizing the last word. "And texts with love declarations?"

"It's complicated."

"I don't care. She's cheating on my boy- on my best friend. I demand an explanation, even if it takes all day."

He sighs and lets his head fall.

"What do you want to know?"

"When did it start?"

"Around one and a half years ago."

"How? What happened?"

"We were at a party. Sohyun was really drunk and wouldn't stay off of me. She cried and begged me to listen to her under four eyes. So we went out onto the street to take a walk. She said something about her and Jae having fought and that he broke up with her. She was heartbroken. I wasn't completely sober myself, so I don't quite remember how, but one way or another we ended up making out."

"And then you developed feelings for each other and started dating secretly?"

He turned and looked you straight in the eye while refusing.

"No no no, don't think that way. I never even had feelings for her. I've got someone else on my mind."

He hesitates, wisely choosing his next words, before continuing, "A few days after the party, I found out they had never broken up. I was furious and demanded an explanation. She said she didn't remember the kiss and apologized. She was really wasted, so I accepted it as the truth."

"Why is she so manipulating?" you ask yourself under your breath.

"But ever since, she has come to me whenever she was upset with Jae – drunk or not. She always says that they're on a break."

"But if you know it's not true, why do you keep going?"

"I didn't. I didn't know she was lying until ten minutes ago when you started yelling at me."

You feel a bit guilty and sheepishly apologize. It doesn't make sense.

You find a small café and talk for a while. Despite finding the answers to your questions, new ones keep rising and you slowly get more and more confused.

"So let me get this straight. Whenever she wants a little love and adventure, she comes to you and lies about her relationship. You make out and... Stuff... And then you don't hear from her until next time she has the urge to use you?"

He nods and takes a sip of his scalding coffee.

"So all in all, she's using you to cheat on Jae without neither of you guys really knowing about the other."

He nods again. You snort and cover your face in your heated hands.

"She's unbelievable," you mumble.

"I'm sorry," he says.

That's the sweet boy you know. The one feeling guilty without fault, apologizing for something he isn't even responsible for. You tell him he isn't the one to blame. Of course, everything would have turned out differently if he hadn't gone along, but he didn't know. He's just human, after all.

You sit in silence for a while.

What to do?

You gobble the last slop of coffee and raise to your feet. Sungjin follows you with his eyes.

"Thank you. And I'm sorry you had to be involved in this mess."

He smiles softly at you and replies, "Don't worry. I'll live."

"Good. I have to go sort things out with Jae, now. I think this has gone too far," you say, referring to both secret liaisons.