Chapter 8

"Okay, here she comes," Younghyun says and sits down right next to you on the grass.

It's lunchtime and while the weather is great, most people choose to eat outside. Since there aren't enough tables, some, including you, Jae and Younghyun, sit on the grass.

"And you're still sure about this?" you ask him. He turns his attention from the cafeteria door back to you.

"Of course! Or else I wouldn't have suggested it." He seems so calm.

"But I thought you were in a relationship?" You tilt your head to the side.

You were so sure about this. He has mentioned it several times before.

"Oh, he won't mind."

Your eyes widen.

"He?"

"Yeah."

He shoots a look at a table near the cafeteria entrance. A brunette boy is speaking with big gesticulations, while the boy with jet black hair is playing with his food on the tray, looking uninterested. The dark-haired suddenly looks your way, only to immediately after go back to playing with a mountain of peas. You're sure you can see his ears turn a light shade of red.

"Yoon Dowoon?!" you exclaim, a little louder than intended.

Younghyun smiles widely with his tongue between his teeth. You're shocked. You look at Jae who looks just as surprised. You would never have guessed it on your own. Then again, it all makes sense. He has never been interested in any of the girls and whenever he talked about having a date, they would just stay out of the public's eye. Plus you have seen them hang out a bunch of times, without having any interaction at school whatsoever. They have been extremely discreet.

"She's out," Jae states. "I'm still not sure how fond I am of this idea. Don't you have another?" he continues in a hurry, knowing what will soon happen if not.

Completely ignoring him, Younghyun turns towards you.

"Ready?"

You give him an unsure nod.

He places a hand on your cheek and smiles lovingly as if you had just given him a compliment of some sort. You smile back, heart pounding, knowing what is approaching.

"Mina just pointed this way. She's looking now," Jae whispers.

Younghyun starts leaning in towards you. You've got a lump in your throat. You close your eyes and wait for the moment to happen. Suddenly, a pair of lush lips brushes against yours in an ever so light kiss.

"Get a room, you two!" Jae fakes a fake disgusted look, being genuinely upset on the inside.

After a brief minute, Younghyun pulls away. You open your eyes and look right into his, both smiling. He nuzzles your cheek with his thumb.

"That will throw her off for a bit," he whispers. You chuckle.

"Yeah."

"You can stop being all lovey-dovey," Jae mumbles. He's looking away from the two of you.

Out of respect, Younghyun leans back on both his arms again and breathes in the fresh air.

"Hello," Sohyun's voice suddenly burst.

You turn around and spot her right behind you.

"Oh. Hello, Sohyun," Younghyun says, sounding a little defensive.

"Um. I-I want to apologize for my behavior this morning," she sheepishly stutters. "I thought you had been together since none of you were on the trip and then there were the pictures, so I just assumed-" she drifts off.

There is an awkward tension in the air.

"We were. Or well, (Y/N) and I were. I'm not sure what Jae was doing, I was taking care of this little dummy after she had caught a cold," Younghyun lies and pokes your nose. You giggle.

"I'm sorry for falsely accusing you of cheating. I didn't know the two of you were in a relationship; (Y/N) never told me."

"Well, we wanted to keep it a secret, but I guess it's better for people to know." Younghyun takes your hand.

"Can I sit here?" she asks.

You fake a smile and nod with a, "Sure!"

She drops down beside Jae. He doesn't look too comfortable and you suddenly rethink this whole plan, questioning whether or not it would be better to just come clean. In the end, you're stopped by Younghyun, who gets up and asks you to follow him to his locker, pretending you have other "things" to do.

Just before reentering the building, you cast a last glance at your friend and lover. While Sohyun is all smiles, Jae looks rather agitated.

The following week, Sohyun seems much more at ease, being convinced you and Younghyun are an actual skinship-loving couple. In the meantime, you and Jae most days hang out at home; sometimes even with Younghyun and his boyfriend. It's funny how Younghyun is such a loud and outgoing person, whereas Dowoon is much quieter and shy.

You dance around the kitchen while cooking dinner for four. You have grown quite the relationship with Dowoon and Younghyun, so you had agreed on having a sleepover in the weekend. And since you're parents are out of town, and you have the biggest house, you decided to meet up there.

Jae enters the room with damp hair and a towel around his waist.

"Hey there, beautiful. It smells nice." He comes over to hug you from behind as you stir around a pot of food.

"It's nothing special, you know. We have had this a bunch of times. My mother knows how much you like it," you respond.

"It doesn't change the fact that the scent is lovely. Send my compliments to the chef."

"The chef will be happy to hear that."

Jae turns you around. You place your hands on his moist chest.

"The food will burn," you mutter.

He reaches around and moves the pot to a cold slot on the stove, not breaking eye contact once.

"It can wait."

You roll your eyes.

This boy.

An hour passes and you can finally take off your apron again. The food is all ready and set, just like the rest of the house. While you have been cooking, Jae has set up the living room for a movie marathon with pillows and soft blankets covering everything. Now you just wait for the other couple's arrival.

"Younghyun just texted me. They won't be here for another 20 minutes," Jae declares as he enters the room while looking at his phone.

Great.

He takes a seat at the table and looks up at you. He puts the phone down and invites to join him. You walk over and sit down on his lap, facing him.

"I love you," he bluntly states.

You giggle.

"I love you too," you reply and kiss his cheek. "Every. Little. Bit." You kiss the other cheek and his nose in between the words, ending it with a peck on his smiling lips.

"You're adorable."

"I'm not," you pout.

"You are! My cute, little kitten," he claims, purposely annoying you with the cringey-sweet nickname.

"Stop it. I'm a tough, strong, independent nugget. I'm not cute and small." You cross your arms, knowing how he can't stand you acting in such a way without wanting to cover you in kisses.

But just as he starts doing so, you're interrupted by the doorbell.

You jump from your seat and say, "I'll go. Will you pour the wine?"

You excitedly skip to the door. You straighten your clothes, brushing non-existent dirt off, and open the door for the highly anticipated guests. But your smile fades as they aren't the ones greeting you. You unintentionally let out a gasp.

"Sohyun."