Chapter 4

"What in the world do you think you're doing?!" Sohyun yells right up in your face as she walks up to you in the hall. You stare at her blankly. Why is she causing a scene all of a sudden?

"What are you talking about?" you half-whisper as people start staring.

"Do you really think you can sleep with my boyfriend and not get caught?" she says. Now people passing by stop and all stare at you.

"I did not sleep with him, Sohyun," you state truthfully. To be fair, you didn't sleep with him the way she made it sound. You just slept in his bed. With him.

"Oh, stop pretending you didn't do anything. I know what you two have been doing behind my back. If you thought I didn't, you're dumber than I thought." Her face is twisted in such an angry expression you have never seen before.

"Sohyun," you try but she cuts you off.

"Having an affair with your best friend's boyfriend. That's a new low."

It looks like she's ready to slap you to the moon anytime. You feel small. You feel pathetic and stupid and sorry. At this very moment, the moment you had feared so much, you regret having gotten romantically involved with Jae.

"How could you? How did you manage to seduce him, huh? Did you blackmail him? Did you threaten him?"

"What?" you whisper in disbelief. Oh no, you are not having this. The regret has vanished completely, fury taking its place.

"Do you think I would sink that low? Do you think I would bribe him to cheat on you? HE chose ME over YOU. He did it because he loves me!" You half-yell the last part. You can hardly believe your own mouth.

The hall is silent. You could even hear a needle fall to the floor. You shamefully glance around at the audience.

"Excuse me," you hear in the distance. "Excuse me, please, let me get through." It's Jae. You know he can back up your story. You know he will help you. Somehow, it will turn out alright if he gets a say in all of this.

As he finally gets through the crowd, your smile fades. He goes straight to Sohyun's side. Kisses her cheek. Holds her around the waist.

"Jae?" you just manage to mumble before Sohyun starts speaking.

"Is it true?" she bluntly asks. "Did you really cheat on me because you love her and not me?"

"What?" he says in a convincing tone.

"Or did she make you?"

"How could you ever think I would voluntarily cheat on you? Of course she did! She told me she'd ruin all your chances of getting into college if I didn't. And I could never let that happen. I know how important it is to you," he lies. What in the world is he saying?

"What?" you whisper. "What are you saying? I thought-"

"Yeah, you thought. But that's not reality." Sohyun sticks her tongue out at you. Now you're the one ready to punch her to the moon. But your wobbly knees are barely able to keep you in a standing position.

"Lies!" you yell, tears starting to form. You hit Jae chest. He doesn't flinch.

"You're lying! You wanted this!" You keep hitting him as you repeat your words. "Lies, lies, lies!"

"Why wouldn't he have broken up with me if he truly loved and wanted to be with you?" Sohyun smirks. She's happy to see you in pain.

"He couldn't because you-"

*Buzz* *buzz*

You rub your eyes.

*Buzz* *buzz*

You reach out, search for a snooze button, let your arm fall onto something warm. As your eyes adjust to the bright room, you realize what had just happened.

You fly up to a sitting position with your eyes now wide open. You scan your surroundings. You're in a very familiar room.

"Babe," someone mumbles in a sleepy voice. The person shuffles around the sheets and puts an arm around your stomach, pulling you back down into a lying position.

Just as you hit the soft mattress again, you turn to look at the person. And nothing but a pure happiness fills you up.

The beautiful, angelic face you treasure so incredibly much is frowning in a displeased yet very cute way. You lift yourself up on one arm to get a better look.

"Yah," you say and slap him gently on the chest.

He mumbles something that sounds like a "what," but you can't say for sure. So you slap him again – a little harder, this time. Now his eyes are open.

"Would you become a coward and go back to Sohyun if she found out about us?" you ask, worried the bad dream you just had would come true if you ever faced a situation like that.

"What? Why would I? If so, I would never have engaged in a relationship like this with you," he states and pushes himself up on his elbows. You smile gently.

"Is it because of the conversation from yesterday?" he asks. You shake your head.

"Just a bad dream."

"Well," he starts off. "I could never do anything like that towards you. You mean too much to me." He places a hand on the back of your neck and pulls you in for a sweet kiss.

So all it was, was a bad dream. Nothing else.

Your phone buzzes again.

"I have to go," you mutter as you pull back.

"Just five more minutes, mom," Jae murmurs with only half-lidded eyes and pull you back in for yet another kiss.

After a minute or two, you pull away again.

"I really have to. Or else, my dream will become reality."

He sighs. A sign telling you to hurry out before he changes his mind.

You look at the time. You're already late. You were supposed to be home before 6, so your parents wouldn't know anything. Now it's 6.47 and your house is a rather long jog away.

You hurry out of the bed. Luckily for you, you had worn a pair of running pants the night before and could convince them you had been out for a run. Not that they would believe you fully, but it was worth a shot.

You throw on the pants, stuff the rest down into your bag and leaves the room. You put your shoes on by the door and hurry out of the house without even saying goodbye to Jae. But you haven't gotten far before a hand grabs your wrist.

An unhappy-looking, sleepy Jae is pouting at you. You giggle. He points to his lips as a clue to what he wants. After leaving a quick peck, you're at last on your way home.