Chapter 5

The day went by pretty smoothly. Sohyun hadn't suspected a thing at all. She was all normal, so that was nice.

As per usual, you, Sohyun and Jae had been sitting at a table with some of Jae's friends. They had joked about you and Jae being like an old married couple after a minor discussion you had, because of something stupid and irrelevant. You, of course, laughed, but Sohyun seemed more serious. Jae had noticed this too and laced his fingers with hers, whereafter she rested her head on his shoulder and relaxed again. You couldn't bear the sight and faked such an urged to visit the restroom, you had to leave immediately.

The rest of your very short Tuesday went by without any further incidents like that. Around noon you were off, and now you're at the park with Jae and his friend, Younghyun; one of the most desired boys at school – if not the most.

Most people know about you and Jae's very close relationship, so for you to rest your head on his lap is nothing unusual. Somehow, that is just accepted as normal, whereto resting your head on his shoulder has the very opposite effect.

In the shadow of a large tree, Younghyun starts tuning the guitar he brought along with him. You're already excited. You love these moments. Quiet times in public, where no one would think twice about your actions around Jae. Where he and Younghyun would just sit and sing while you got to enjoy their soft voices join in harmony. You have sessions like this at least once a week. If the weather allows, you would be outside – mostly at the park. If not, you would stay behind at school or go to this one small antique store not far from there.

You closed your eyes in anticipation as Younghyun started strumming the guitar. Jae plays with your as he hums along with the melody before singing the first few lines. You smile to yourself, enjoying the moment.

As the first song is coming to an end, you feel yourself dozing off. But just before you hit unconsciousness, you hear your name leave Jae's lips. Too tired to reply, you just let out a low growl. Younghyun chuckles.

"You really seem to like her," he then says.

"Of course. She's my best friend. I've known her since-, well. I can't remember not knowing her," Jae answers, still playing with your hair.

"That's not what I meant." Younghyun's voice seems somewhat serious.

Jae's hand stops moving. "Oh," he mutters.

You fight the very strong desire to look at the two. You're so curious to see what is going on, but you can't reveal yourself.

"Do you?" Younghyun continues after a minute of silence.

Jae's hand softly caresses your hair. You feel him gazing at you. You're getting shy and embarrassed but are still unable to move.

"Is it that obvious?" Jae mumbles, not taking his eyes off of your "sleeping" face. Younghyun lets out a small laugh.

"Why are you with Sohyun, then? Why not break up with her? I see the way the two of you look at each other. Isn't it difficult to not just show your feelings?" Younghyun doesn't seem to judge you at all.

"It's more complicated than that," Jae explains. "I can't just break up with her."

"Does she know?" Younghyun asks. Judged by Jae's sudden slowed stroking, he seems confused by the question. And so do you.

"(Y/N). Does she know how you feel?" Okay. So he's not judging because he hasn't figured it out.

Jae's hesitation somehow answers Younghyun's question.

"Well. It's all up to you, man. I'm not gonna decide for you," he then concludes. "Let's do "Put Your Records On"! It's been ages." He drags out the last word.

"We sang it last week," Jae laughs and the sound of a guitar fills the air once again.

The next thing you register is Jae's soft voice calling your name.

"Mmm?" you grumble.

"Babe. Wake up," he repeats.

You slowly open your eyes. After a moment of getting back to your senses, you take a look at your surroundings. You're still at the park. The sky has gotten darker. Younghyun is gone like most other people. You're basically alone with Jae.

As you lazily sit up, something slides down your arms and they're exposed to the chilly air. Jae had covered you with his jacket and has been sitting in his tee for the past who-knows-how-long in this weather.

"You're freezing," you mumble, still not entirely awake. He shrugs. You throw the jacket at his face.

"Put it on," you demand with only one eye open.

"You look adorable right now," he grins and pinches your cheeks. You glare at him. If you could call the lethargic look on your face a "glare."

"What time is it?"

He looks at his phone.

"Not time for us to go home just yet. I have something I want to talk about."

You sit up straight and turn your body towards him. What could it be? He made it sound extremely serious and important.

"I want to do something with you. Something special."

You cock your head to the side.

"You know how we always talk about wanting to not care about being seen like this in public?" he asks and lifts up your laced fingers. You nod.

"Well, I have a surprise for you, then."

Your face lights up.

"What is it?"

He's grinning from ear to ear.

"You'll see tomorrow. I can't wait to see your face when I tell you." His eyes are shining with excitement.

"Okay, then," you giggle. "But tell me this: Do I have to dress up for it?"

"Do as you wish. You look just as beautiful in a dress as in a hoodie and sweats." You take a quick peek around before planting a short kiss on his lips as a 'thank you' for the compliment.

"Come on." He gets up on his feet and offers you his hand. "Let's go home."