Chapter 12

You carefully knock on the white wooden door, waiting for someone to grant you access to the bedroom.

After departing with Sungjin, and on your way to his place, a sobbing Jae had called you. Sohyun had found undeniable evidence of your affair and had confronted him about it. She screamed and yelled, despite not being any better herself.

You know he's heartbroken. Not because of the reason she's furious, but because she is.

You arrived shortly after she left and were let in by Mrs. Park. She didn't look all too happy while filling you in on the situation.

Sohyun's screams had echoed throughout the whole house. Jae hadn't said a word at all. At least not any that were audible compared to hers.

So now you are standing in front of his bedroom door, ready to tell him not to feel so guilty.

A puffy-eyed Jae greets you through the door. You can't help but leap forward and pull him into a warm embrace. You feel small, warm drops hit the top of your head. But something's off. He doesn't move. His facial expression is empty. He is just staring out into the thin air.

You pull back a little and look up at his face. Your eyes meet a cold glare.

"You," he mutters.

Your brows automatically furrow. He never speaks in such a serious tone. Especially not to you.

"This is all because of you," he the states.

You're baffled, don't know what to say or do. Why is he blaming you all of a sudden?

"Ex-excuse me?" you stutter, still pretty dumbfounded.

He gently removes your arms from his waist.

"You're the reason she's angry. You're the reason she doesn't want me anymore."

Wait, so he's genuinely hurt and upset that she found out and broke up with him? He actually did have feelings for her? Was he lying when he said he only wanted to be with you?

No. That can't be. There must be a reason.

"Why are you blaming me? What have I done?"

"What have you done? You were the one who lured me into this whole thing, this affair!"

Your eyes widen.

"EXCUSE me? I was the reason for this chaos?!" You bewildered expression doesn't seem to move him in any way.

"Of course you are!"

"How? How the hell is this my fault? Tell me!"

"Instead of helping me with Sohyun and stabilizing our relationship, you jumped on me and seduced me."

He turns his back towards you and walks further into the room. You don't hesitate to follow, closing the door behind you.

"I jumped on you? I SEDUCED you? What in the world are you talking about?! Have you lost your mind?!"

He turns to face you once again.

"Listen up, smartass. I never did anything to lure you into this. You had feelings for me just as much as I had for you, and don't you deny it."

You take a step forward. Your eyes are on fire. Your heart is aching. How could he do this?

"It doesn't matter if I had feelings for you or not, it shouldn't have ended like this!"

"Then how should it have, huh? How did you want this to end?"

"I-I don't know! Just not like this."

He grows quiet as his eyes wander across the room. You look in the direction of whatever thing his gaze is fixated on.

"Oh," you breathe, almost with a hint of a laugh. Now you know.

"Is it because of THAT?" you say with a smile of disbelief as you turn your attention back to the slim mess in front of you.

"You know, just because you're upset with something YOU did – your own actions – does NOT make it okay for you to blame me! I have done nothing but treat you the way you deserved. I went around my best friend, knowing I would end up losing her if I fully engaged in this. I have given you all of me. If you hadn't made that stupid promise back then, none of this would have been a problem. You have absolutely NO right to blame me for this!"

"Leave Junhyeok out of this!"

"Why? He's the reason you were caught up in this in the first place!"

You know you hit a soft spot. You know how much what you're implying pains him. You know you're gonna regret this. Nonetheless, you can't hold yourself back anymore.

"He's got nothing to do with this!"

"No, you're right. It's YOU. Because you feel like you have to keep that stupid promise."

"Stop calling it a stupid promise!"

"Why should I when that's exactly what it is? You're stuck in the illusion that you can't do what you actually want because of a few words without any deeper meaning to it!"

Jae grabs you by the wrists and pins you to the wall.

"Stop it! Stop saying that! They're not just words, it's a vow I made; I gave him my word! I can't just neglect that!"

Tears are streaming down his cheeks. Never have you ever seen him in a state like this.

You suddenly take note of the steady stream of liquid pouring from your eyes like waterfalls. You are hurt. You know he isn't in his right mind, and that he's just saying all of those things out of frustration. But that doesn't mean the words don't feel like knives to your heart. He is blaming you for something you're actually only playing a small part in. He could have avoided everything.

You feel empty while coming to a realization. You know that feeling when time just stops and you don't think anything, your mind is completely blank and your body feels feather light?

"Oh yeah? Well, I guess you'll lose me, then," you say with a cold heart

Jae is clearly stunned by your words. His frowning face turns to one of surprise. His grasp loosens and you eye the chance to get your ass the heck out of there.

You slip your hands out of his grip on your wrists and storm out of the room. You hurriedly make your way down the steep stairs, careful not to fall, before sprinting through the kitchen, heading towards the front door.

Jae's mother spots you and asks what happened as she saw you with drenched cheeks.

"I heard yelling. That's the second time today. Is everything alright? Did Jaehyung do something?" she worriedly asks. You can see by her body language that she's ready to pull you right into a hug of love and comfort – something much needed right now. But you have to get out of that house. You feel like you can barely even breathe in there anymore.

You hear footsteps tailing you. Why is he following you after having said all of those hurtful things?

"I'm sorry, Mrs. Park, but I have to go. I can't be here right now."

And with that, you race out of the door, down the pathway to the street and away, leaving the house behind.

You hear your name being called in the distance. Over and over and over. But all you can do is run.