Chapter 1

You stood clutching Bucky's arms like the rest of the girls in the crowd.

"Promise me you'll be safe," you begged Bucky. Bucky chuckled and kissed your forehead.

"Of course I'll be careful. I'll be back before you can miss me, Doll," Bucky comforted with a cocky smile.

"That's not possible," you whispered before pulling him in for a kiss. You only broke apart when you heard the call for the men. "I love you," you told him before giving him a peck.

"I love you too." Bucky turned to Steve. "Hey, Steve, watch out for y/n, alright?" he said as he patted Steve on the shoulder. Steve nodded and returned the gesture.

Bucky pulled you in his arms again. "Before I go, I need you to do something for me," he told you.

"Anything."

"Hold on to this," he said and held out a simple diamond ring. You gasped, and your eyes went wide.

"Bucky..." you whispered.

"Marry me when I get back," Bucky whispered in your ear.

"Yes," you squealed before pulling him in for another kiss. Bucky broke the kiss with a chuckle.

"Now, I really have to go, Doll. But I'll be back. I promise." You and Steve waved back at Bucky as he joined the other soldiers. Once he was out of sight, you looked down at the ring on your finger and gave a sad smile.

——————————————————————————————

Your world had turned upside down at the news of Bucky's death. And just as you felt like you might have gotten your footing, your world got turned upside down again at the news of Steve's death. You didn't know what to do with yourself. You felt empty most of the time. When you felt anything, it was this overwhelming wave of sadness. Sometimes it didn't even feel real since you had no bodies to bury. You would catch yourself think that any moment they would just walk through the door. When you had almost ended it all, Howard Stark knocked on your door.

He had heard Steve talk about you several times and decided to visit this brave woman himself. He offered you a part in an experiment he was conducting with freezing people to thaw them out in the future. You immediately agreed despite the risks. What did you have to lose?

——————————————————————————————

It was many years later when Steve was walking through the abandoned SHIELD building. Stark had told him that his father use to work here. Some big project that worked and was important for the future. So far, he hadn't found anything of use. A bunch of papers and out of date technology. That is until he found a door with a warning sign. With a little bit of force, Steve got the door open.

It was much colder in here. Steve moved around the room until he found a large metal container. He kicked it a few times. He could hear the faint thrum of a running machine. Steve saw the tiny window on the container and wiped away the frost.

"Y/n?" he gasped. Inside the metal freezer was you, looking as if you were peacefully asleep.