September

This month has flown by in a blur. Next month is homecoming, Halloween, and a whole assortment of fun things. I don't know what I'm wearing to hoco yet and it's two weeks away.

I'm not concerned.

I like the excitment leading up to homecoming more than the event itself. Sure, dancing around a gym until your nice and sweaty is my idea of a good time but it's not what I LIVE for. I'm secretly a prep. Shhh, don't tell! Dressing up for homecoming, the pep rally, the parade, the big game...*sigh* Now that's what I live for.

Recently, we had our fall pep rally. The dance team preformed, the cheerleaders did a routine, and a shoot out contest ensued. I've never been one for athletics but I signed up for this very contest. How did this happen you ask? Well, the conversation went down a bit like this....

I see a group of SGA girls standing in the hallway on my way to fifth. Nothing special, the SGA room is right across the hall from my psych class. They are involved in a discussion about the pep rally and pull a boy into their gaggle of giggles.

     "Hey, would you mind shooting some hoops during the game today?" They ask sweetly.

        "Sure, I'll do it." He says nonchalantly.

          The girls squeal, "Thanks! Now, we still need another person to do it."

At that moment they spot me. I wave in acknowledgement.

           "Hope! Perfect! Would you mind doing a shootout at the pep rally today?" They question.

          With no hesitation I say, "I'll do it."

With that conversation over I headed into my fifth. The agreement exited from my mind as I focused on making it through my last three classes of the day.

After seventh period I headed over to the gym. I was just making myself comfortable in the stands when a member of SGA approached me.

        "Hey Hope, be ready to go down on the court for the shootout when it's announced."

I nodded my head and tampered down my minimal nerves.

As the pep rally progressed I thought less and less of the act of athletism I was supposed to be performing. It was just a little free throw, right? Wrong.

They called for the shoot out contestants to come down so down I went. As my feet hit the court I heard them say the shot was to be taken from half court. I almost slank back up into my seat. My puny arms were not going to carry that ball to the hoop. Instead of collapsing right there, I steeled myself and made my way to the half court line.

The pressure was on. Everytime someone missed a shot the tuba section of the band would play this note that just sounded like failure. As I stepped up to the line, I knew that sound would accompany every shot I made.

I bounced the ball once, twice, until I was satisfied with it's feeling in my hands. Then I lined up my aim, shot, and...

"ERRRRRR!!!!!"

I found my horrendous attempt so miserable that I just had to laugh. The next two shots followed in the same fashion.

I know what your thinking, did anyone make it?! Yes, yes they did. Ironically, a junior named Troy made it. In another ironic twist, last year during hoco week he wore Troy Bolton's jersey.

I am going to call him Bolton from now on.

Even though I may not have made it, I was still able to laugh at myself a bit. At least I didn't throw away my shot, right? If anything, it made the experience more memorable. Life's no fun if you can't laugh about yourself every once in a while.

With that, I bid you a goodbye until next time. Remember, life's too short to take yourself seriously all the time. Laugh a bit!
                                -Basketball Star