Chapter 8

Mia looked at me like I was crazy. "What is a magical signature? I didn't even know such a thing existed."

"A magical signature is what you leave when you cast a spell. The only times that one isn't left is when dark magic is used, curses such as the killing curse." Going into lecture mode is somewhat soothing to me "A magical signature is essentially part of yourself. And I don't mean part of your soul, it's kind of like a smell in a way. When you wear perfume, the smell surrounds you in a way. And it's the same for when you cast a spell. Every one's trace is different. And if you catch it soon enough, then you can potentially follow the trace all the back to the person who cast the spell. I cast a glamour charm on myself every week. For roughly an hour afterwards there is a, for lack of a better term, scent following me around that could potentially lead back to me and if they have the right connection and know the right spells, it could identify me. The real me." This is how it had to of happened. "Harry and Ron became auror's, they have access and authority to use these types of spells."

"And you're sure that someone has actually found you? You're sure that it was not simply a mistake?" Mia asked

"No, it can't have been a mistake. Harry came into work the other day, asking about books that I was interested in. The book that he bought, is the one I received. It was addressed to 'Hermione 'Sarah' Granger'. There is no mistake. It was meant for me." Our food came and we began to eat. "Emma knows."

Mia seemed to choke a little. "What? What does she know? How does she know?"

"It happened last week, I had my wand in my bag and Emma came back to mine after work for dinner. While I was getting drinks, my phone rang and she went to get it out. Turns out she is the muggle sister of someone I went to school with. Dean Thomas. So, she knew what it was. She knows that I went to Hogwarts, but she doesn't know it's really me. But she will know that there was no Sarah in our year or any year in Gryffindor while Dean and I were there once she gets a hold of him. So, I know she is going to have a lot of questions." Oh god no. this can't be happening. There is no way that people can know I'm here. I'll have to move again. I'll have to move somewhere far away and make sure no one anywhere knows. I can't tell Emma because... because... there was no reason I couldn't tell Emma. Logically I knew this, emotionally though... I had to stop letting my emotions rule me. That wasn't me.

"Sarah, calm down." Mia said grabbing my hands "It will be okay. Everything will work out. You said the other week that it wouldn't be such a bad thing if they came and talked to you here. Maybe they just want to talk. Maybe they just..."

"I'm going to tell Emma." I said cutting her off. "There isn't really any reason for her not to know and its time that I start fully facing it. I started using my wand more and I have been okay. Telling Emma shouldn't be too hard." I said to Mia. She looked at me with wide eyes. I knew all of this came as a shock to her. Especially since for the last 2 and a half years I had been completely against even holding my wand and looking at it outside of the time when re-casting the glamour.

"Are you sure? This is a big step, you need to make sure you'll be okay. Make sure that you are ready to say everything. If you would like, you can do it here in my office the next appointment or I could join you somewhere and help you. It's up to you, but know that I am here if you need me to be."

"Thank you, Mia, I'm so sorry for just barging in on you. Thank you so much, how much do I owe for this?"

"Nothing, honestly. I am just glad that you are making progress. And I just want it to stay that way. Just promise me that if you need to talk, you will call me, for whatever reason." Mia smiled at me

I insisted on paying for lunch before we left and promised I would call if I ever needed anything, making sure she did the same. She may have been my shrink, but that didn't mean that I didn't count her as a friend of sorts. We said good bye and I headed home. I got inside and sat the book still on the table next to my wand. I picked up and waved my wand, making a coffee. I then walked up the stairs and ran a bath, making sure that I had my coffee and my new book, I hopped in and felt the hot water relax my body.

I sipped my coffee, thinking about the meeting with Mia, thinking about what was said. I reached over the edge of the bath and texted Emma, asking her over for dinner after work the next night. I put down my phone and picked up my book.

Tomorrow I would be revealing who I truly am to my first friend from my new life.