Girl Meets The Bay Window pt. 1

"You're changing the bay window?" I ask as Lucas and I climb through the Bay Window.

"Oh, look what you did. You made Hee-Haw and Rae-Rae show up out of nowhere." Maya says.

"Lucas, Rachel, how does this affect you? You didn't grow up with us." Riley asks.

"Yeah, we didn't have to." Lucas says.

"We know this place has a lot of meaning to you." I say.

"That makes it a special place to me, because both of you are special to me." Lucas says.

"High school's coming up. We're changing. Look around, guys. This is a... a little girl's window. It needs to change with us." Riley says.

"Hey, Huckleberry, Rachel, it might've been okay to have known you as long as we've known Farkle." Maya says.

"Yeah, being friends with you guys has changed me in the best possible ways." Lucas says.

"I wish I could have always had that." I say.

"We could do it. I say we've known you since you were a little kid." Riley says.

"Well, how do you do that?" I ask.

"A musical number." Riley shouts.

"No!" Lucas shouts.

"Yes!" I yell.

"In the town of old Austin in Texas." Riley sings.

"Why? Why?" Lucas asks. 

"Lived Bucky McBoing Boing Huh Huggghhrr." Maya sings. 

"Will you please be kind?" Lucas asks.

"Keep going." I say happily.

"Huh hugghhrr, huh hugghhrr. You talk like that for sure." Little Maya sings.

"I am dreaming of a hero." Little Riley sings.

"Riley, have some dignity, woman." I say.

"Who will treat me like a princess." Little Riley sings.

"Like me." Little Farkle sings.

"Not you." Mini Riley sings.

"Okay." Mini Farkle sings. 

"And he'll be my handsome prince and I'll love him." Little Riley sings.

"Like a brother." MIni Maya sings.

"No, the other." Mini Farkle sings.

"Farkle!"

"Okay." 

"Wait, why am I not little like you guys?" I ask.

"Me too." Lucas asks.

"This is how you've always been." Little Riley says.

"The only you we've ever seen." Little Maya says.

"Hey!" Lucas says.

"Giddy up, Huckleberry!" Little Maya says.

"Maya, you can't just jump on me." Lucas says as Mini Maya jumps on his back. 

"Riley..." I warn.

"Whee!" Little Riley shouts as she jumps into my arms.

"In the town of New York, not in Texas." Little Riley sings.

"A freak-face became our good friend." Little Farkle sings trying to climb up the bay window but trips and gets back up again.

"And no matter how things go we'll always have the bay window the same one forever, the end." Everyone sings.

-------Back in Reality------

"No. Maya, nothing's forever. We can't be seven years old our whole lives." Riley says.

"Why can't we?" Maya asks.

"I like remembering who we were." Farkle says.

"I was nothing like that." Lucas and I say in unison.

"I was a little boy just like all of my friends. Look. I have a picture." Lucas says and shows us his phone, but he looks just like he does now. "Huh."

"Look at me when I was seven." I tell them and show them my phone. Haha, I actually look like I'm seven.

"It's time to forget about the past." Riley says.

"Why do we have to? Huh." Maya asks.

"Maya, what's important now is, 'Who are we going to be?'" Riley says.

"What happens to who we were?" Maya asks.

"Hey, guys, something's seriously wrong." I say while looking at pictures of Lucas on his phone.

"You are never touching this bay window." Maya says.

-------A Little While Later-------

Riley has just taken down the Bay Window.

"How could you let them do this?" Maya asks Topanga and Mr. Matthews.

"We didn't." Mr. Matthews says, "What did you guys do?"

"Riley, this is your favorite place in the world." Topanga asks worriedly.

"I'm just a teenage girl rearranging her room a lot." Riley says.

"Uh-huh. What's really happening?" Topanga asks.

"Just because we're going to high school, she thinks we should destroy our childhood." Maya says.

"Okay, you know, this raises an interesting question. Who here knows..." Mr. Matthews starts.

"Stop." All of us kids say.

"Stop what?" Matthews asks.

"You were about to teach us something, weren't you?" I ask.

"No..." The teacher says.

"Sure, you were. It's the weekend and you can't stop. Bring it, Hambone." Farkle says.

"You need help, Matthews." Maya says.

"You're not allowed to teach us anything today." Lucas says.

"I wasn't gonna teach you anything..." Matthews starts.

"Yay!" Maya, Riley, and Lucas shout why Farkle and I groan.

" ...because you already know this one." The man finishes.

Maya, Riley, and Lucas all groan and Farkle and I say, "Yay!"

"The truth is, people get comfortable with what's familiar." Mr. Matthews says.

"Yeah, and when you get too comfortable, you don't allow yourself room to grow." Topanga says.

"The worst thing you can do is fold your arms and refuse to accept what's gonna come anyway." Mr. Matthews says.

"Yeah. Hey, Riley, is that my boot? Can I please have that back?" Lucas asks.

"No." Riley giggles.

"Honey, it's totally okay that you want to create space for new memories. Let's just keep the old memories somewhere safe. You may decide that you want to visit them again later." Topanga says.

"Fine." Riley says reluctantly.

"You see, Maya? One of us is completely okay with making room for the new." Topanga and Mr. Matthews start laughing. "Okay." Riley starts to laugh awkwardly now."You guys are laughing. Yeah. Is it because I'm so right that it's funny?"

"No." The parents say.

"Oh. Then why are you laughing?" Riley asks.

"It's just a little memory that we've put away." Mr. Matthews says.

"Yeah. Let's take it out and visit." Topanga says.

Mr. Matthews and Topanga start to tell us about when Auggie was born.