summer: 2

Back to now, I'm currently going into my first year of high school and it's very intimidating

Back to now, I'm currently going into my first year of high school and it's very intimidating. That's why Emily is helping me get through it and telling me to stop worrying. Emily and I wrap up our FaceTime conversation and I close the lid of my laptop. I haven't hung out with the Ross kids in a while do to our different schedules and activities we like to do. I leave my room, walk down the grand staircase, and head into the kitchen.

"Mom, can I go to Topanga's and hang out with my friends?" I ask my mom, who is setting the table for lunch.

"Sure, just be back before dinner," She says, taking the plate and silverware off of the table that was in my spot.

I run upstairs and grab my mini backpack and stuff a phone charger, gum, earbuds, and my wallet inside. I go back downstairs and walk into the elevator and press the down button. It takes around 25 minutes but I finally get to Topanga's. I walk in and sit down next to Farkle, as he is the only one here, well, as our friend group goes.

"Hey Rachel, haven't seen you in a while. Where have you been?" Farkle asks.

"I've just been at home FaceTiming a few friends who don't live in New York." I say.

Riley then bursts in the door, Maya trailing behind her, complaining about something I don't care about at the moment. Riley has kind of been on my nerves for the past few days because all she wants to talk about are boys, specifically Lucas. It's not like I don't want to talk about guys, it's just not on my mind all of the time. I take my earbuds out of my backpack and plug them into my iPhone. I tap into my musical theatre kid playlist and turn on It Only Takes A Taste. I go onto Instagram and start scrolling and liking pics, occasionally commenting as well.

About thirty minutes goes by and no one acknowledged my presence. I stand up and go behind the counter and into the back room of the coffee shop without anyone seeing me. In the break room, there's a little couch, a coffee table, some chairs, and a table, small but comfortable. I reach into my bag and pull out the newest edition to my book family, sit down on the couch, and start reading. Katy walks into the room with a hot chocolate and cookies and sets them on the small coffee table in front of me. I look up and mutter a small 'thank you'.

I guess I've kinda been on my own this summer. I distanced myself from most people and matured a lot. My mom even lets me walk around Times Square by myself, even though I've only just turned 13. I spend my days walking, looking, and listening. I walk past so many theatres and dream about the day when my mom and I can finally afford to see a show, preferably Waitress.

Topanga walks in and wakes me up from my inner thoughts. "How ya doin honey?"

"Alright I guess," I reply.

She sits down next to me on the couch. "Are you sure? You've been a little, how do I say this, away lately."

"Yeah, I mean, I've been talking to Farkle more than the others. No offense, but Riley is just a little too immature for me right now and so is Maya. Lucas just feels uncomfortable talking to me." I tell Topanga, feeling myself fall further into the small couch.

Topanga smooths my hair down and comforts me by saying, "I understand that, but now that you've become more mature, maybe it will rub off on her."

"Yeah, you're right, maybe it will." I say.

•♡•♡•♡•
𝕒𝕦𝕥𝕙𝕠𝕣𝕤 𝕟𝕠𝕥𝕖
omg so sorry for making you wait! Honestly I wanted to write more than that for this chapter but said no and just published it.
Also
Follow @/joshuafranklinbassett on Instagram
i live off of feedback so please comment while you read, please react !!!