Chapter Five

Edited*

Exactly 3 days later, I was stumbling out of my house with my sports bag in one hand and my surf board tucked under my arm.

1:05 in the afternoon. Crap, I'm late.

Travelling at a ninja pace, I strapped my board onto my car roof and pretty much threw myself into the driver's seat. As soon as my car started up, I was already screeching backwards down the driveway and on my way to the beach.

*****

'You're late'. Tanner stated unamused whilst glancing down at his invisible watch.

'Sorry, sorry, sorry. I got out of work late then sat down for what was meant to be a half an hour rest but turned into an hours nap. Then I was woken up by Blake calling me to say that his hours have changed and his working overtime, so now his working from 6 in the morning to 10 at night so his just staying Gavin's for the next six nights. Then I had to literally run around to get ready because I was running late, then forgot my phone as soon as I got into the car, forgot my board, strapped it to the roof and practically sped here.' I rambled in one breathe and extremely quickly. 'Just be happy I'm in one piece.' I joked around.

Tanners well known smile didn't make an appearance on his face, and instead a deep frown showed up. 'Alana Smith,' he stated and my face fell.

Tanner using my full name was for three reasons and three reasons only.

One; he would be teasing me.

Two; he was yelling at me because I did something wrong (or we were at training.)

And three; he was worried or concerned about at me.

'I know Blake is extremely busy at the moment and living with just him, or the lack of him, is hard to do. I want you to know that you can come to me for anything at all. If you want some company for the next few nights come and stay at mine.' His eyes were boring into mine, and they were deadly serious and full of concern.

'You're like a little sister to me, and as much as a pain in my perfectly toned ass you are,' he said with a wink, 'I am always free to help you, no matter what I'm doing or what I have planned.' His immediately sobered up and his face went back to being serious. A nod of appreciation was given from me and with that he started our training session.

As soon as we had finished the 4km warm up jog (note that I was already stuffed after that), I was looking sheepishly up at Tanner.

'I forgot my drink bottle.' I innocently looked up at him and smiled. With a small shake of his head, he tossed me his drink bottle and we continued training.

***

An hour and a half later, Tanner and I were standing with our feet in the shallow water, leg ropes attached to our ankles and were staring out to sea.

'Over to the right is where I'm headed,' I said to Tanner after much consideration. 'There's barrels.' I stated. With a nod of his head, we both ran into the cool ocean and let the cold water wash over our aching bodies, cooling down our sore muscles from our hard work out session.

Sitting out the back and waiting for the next perfect wave to come through is one of the most relaxing feelings I have ever had. Just you and the ocean, nobody to bother you with petty problems.

I sighed and looked out the back and saw a decent wave coming in. Turning my board around, I paddled hard and caught the wave, popping straight up and onto my feet before gliding down the face of the wave.

The air rushing past me made me feel like I was flying. I shot straight down to the bottom of the wave and flung my body causing me to do a snap back. I turned facing right and was engulfed in a barrel.