Chapter Twenty Four

4920 words in this chapter! WOW!!!! aha.

Enjoy :)

It had been three and a half hours since Alpha Reece had personally came to visit me and inform me about Michael’s mental state, and for the past three and a half hours I feel like I’ve never been so anxious in my life.

I kept glancing up at the wall to look at the clock and I was so close to screaming. It had been just over one minute but it felt like an hour had passed. This had been happening for the past three and a half hours. I’d check the clock so much, just counting down the minutes until I got to go home to pack my stuff and go help Michael. But with how slow time was passing, I feared that I would die from an anxiety attack first.

My whole shift I had gotten worried glances from worried work mates, Jacob and Sally mainly. I shook it off and didn’t talk to them and only worked harder on more time consuming tasks to make time pass by faster.

When there was only one minute left on the clock, I couldn’t help finish my shift then. I stopped standing around and raced into the staff room to sign off my shift, then grabbed my bag and bolted out the door, not caring that I was getting some weird looks from Sally, Jacob and customers.

I jumped into my car and struggled to stick to the speed limit as I drove home. Upon reaching the drive way, I jumped from my vehicle and bolted inside and up to my room.

With trembling hands I grabbed a duffle bag and shoved random clothes into it from the floor and a few things from the draws. After what Reece had told me, I couldn’t leave Michael alone in his state. I had to help him, after all it was all my fault. 

If I didn’t help I could never forgive myself if he couldn’t help himself and what really pissed me off was how much I cared. I broke the bond, shouldn’t I not really care as much and not want to be around him?

Yet here I was, packing a bag as a bundle of nerves so I could be on my way to face Michael and see the mess that I helped create.

The more I thought about the situation, the more determined I was to help.

 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

‘What do you mean Michael attacked your mate?’ I asked in a shocked whisper, not believing what I just heard.  I could feel my eyes widen and my jaw drop as soon as the words registered in my mind properly.

‘I mean Michael attacked Maddie. If I hadn’t have been there, she might have been,’ he trailed off with anger and sadness on his face hating thinking about what could have happened to his mate. ‘His wolf had completely taken over. He was looking to kill.’ He finished in a hard voice while looking completely torn in two.

I felt my heart plummet at the words. It was all my fault. Maddie was attacked because I told Michael that the reason I found out how to reject mates was from Maddie’s knowledge. If I had kept my mouth shut about who told me the information she would be safe and Michael would be pissed off, not trying to kill anyone.

‘She’s a complete mess, but the fucked up things is that she’s more worried about Michael than her own wellbeing.’ He said with a frown on his face a small shake to his head. 

‘Mads didn’t give a shit that she almost got ripped apart, she only felt worried for what made Michael do it and what caused his wolf to surface and take control.’

I couldn’t imagine what this was like for Reece. The position he was in seamed impossible to deal with. Wanting to protect you mates means eliminate any threats but killing someone who was practically your brother put him in a difficult position.