Chapter 36

Peter's POV:

Drawing in a deep breath, I carefully made my way over to Malfoy. I knew what I was doing and I hope I will not regret it.

A smirk tugged at the corners of his mouth as he saw me approaching.

Nervousness, anger, guilt and a lot more mingled feelings gnawed in my stomach.

"Pettigrew." Malfoy drawled.

I glared before toning it down. "Malfoy." I growled back.

I can't back out now.

"Come to answer my Lord?" He smirked. I remained silent. His smirk widened as he invited me to walk alongside him. As if he had the right! I fumed before calming down and did as he asked.

There was silence between us as we walked to the Room of Requirement.

As the silence grew, I thought of our group of friends during the last week.

I remembered clearly how Lily and Jasmine were always together, how they were always talking quietly and sometimes, with tears. I remember how James would always be comforting Sirius and how the two of them would always pay attention in class now. And I remember how Remus stopped listening in lesson. Whenever he was asked a question, he would often be spacing out and he would only answer after the teacher snapped at him. And more than often, his answer was usually wrong. Jasmine and Lily both flunked all their tests that week while Remus barely passed and nobody slept until 1:30 in the morning. They just couldn't.

As for me... I had many restless nights, thinking of a lot of ways to save Hazel but concluded that they were all impossible. I had been warring inside myself as I debated whether I should or should not take the Death Eater's offer.

Lost in my thoughts, I was oblivious that we had arrived and resulted in me walking straight into the wall before the door had completely appeared.

"Ouch." I mumbled. Malfoy snickered before opening the door.

I hope I will never be partnered with Malfoy. Ever.

Third-person POV:

Lucius Malfoy swung opened the door and invited Peter Pettigrew in. The room was in a dark tone, a fire cackled in the fireplace surrounded by iron bars and the torches on the wall lit the room. Everything was in dark red, green and brown with a little bit of black.

"So who will it be?" He sneered.

"Me." I replied simply.

He blinked at me when he heard. "You? Scrawny little Pettigrew?" I huffed. "You said any of us."

"You didn't tell them?" Malfoy asked. I snorted. "Why? I didn't need to tell them." He gaped at me.

"Close your mouth and hand Hazel over!" I snapped. An evil smirk spread over his face as he said, "Unbreakable vow first."

I gulped as I watch Bellatrix appear with Regulas Black, Black was holding onto Hazel with Bellatrix's dagger at her throat. Bellatrix stood between us with her wand out.

-time skip-

Third-Person POV:

Hazel's eyes were wide with fear when the three Death Eaters disappeared.

"Peter... Why?" She asked. She fell to her knees, covering her face with her hands.

A pained look flickered over the newly made Death Eater as he tried to approach Hazel. She didn't flinch when he placed his hand on her shoulder and crouched down beside her.

"Why?" She wailed, sobs wracked her figure. "You should've just let me die! You can't do this, Pete!"

"Hazel, you don't understand!" Peter raised his voice above her cries. "You don't know what we've been through! Since your disappearance, everyone's been loosing their character day by day.

"Everyone was so down! You have no idea! I can't let them suffer like this anymore when I have a way to remove them from their misery!" Peter yelled. He had barely ever raised his voice yet he was yelling at Hazel right now.

He sounded so anguished, so pained, Hazel shut up.

Silence hung in the room when Hazel processed this. Peter collapsed onto he floor, curling into a ball and trying to sooth his sadness.

Hazel steadied her voice. She didn't know what to think of this. She was grateful that Peter didn't let her die, but she didn't want any of her friends to sacrifice themselves for her.

"Pete..." she started, drawing her friend's attention. "Did you tell them? About this?"

Peter looked at her, his eyes sad. He gave no response but his eyes were glassy. He unconsciously placed his hand over his Mark and that was all Hazel needed to know he didn't tell anyone. This was between them and the Death Eaters.

"You... you do know that when time comes, you'll have to go against us right?" Hazel asked softly. Peter bowed his head and went completely silent.

Hazel didn't speak after that. They sat in the Room, nobody spoke. A tensed and worried sensation filled the atmosphere.

Hazel couldn't believe it. After being kidnapped for so long, she thought she would die in the dungeon. She thought her friends wouldn't notice that she was gone, or worse- ignore her absence. Peter rid of all her thoughts. He came to save her, by sacrificing himself to the Dark Lord to become one of his pawns.

Peter glanced at Hazel from time to time. Who knew how long they were there for. He twiddled his fingers as he thought. It was worth it, of course.

Because Peter had a secret that he shared with Hazel. He would never tell anyone else. Not even if it depended on his life.

He gave Hazel a look. One that contained passion, adoration yet, unhappiness. This Mark is just another secret to be kept between them. Peter smiled a sorrowful smile and slowly, he pushed himself up.

The movement made Hazel look at him. She kept her chestnut eyes on him as he swept across the room. Peter rolled his sleeves down and gave himself a little stretch. He then flung his cloak around Hazel, who was wearing a thin T-shirt and fastened the clasp.

He motioned for his friend to stand up and Hazel stumbled. She grabbed his arm to steady herself then released him. Peter had learned not to react to her touch. They got ready to move out of the room. Peter paused at the door, and Hazel stopped as well.

He broke the silence by speaking. "Just don't tell them." Peter breathed out finally.