Introduction

Lily stood frozen for the spot for a moment, but as she blinked her body began to falter. Tommy rushed forwards to catch her as she collapsed into him. Tears began to flood from her eyes as she tried to take it all all "This can't be happening, John has never...he wouldn't. Not my John" She sobbed as she clung tightly to Tommy's shirt.

Polly watched curiously as Tommy inhaled Lily's scent, it suddenly became obvious to her that everything Tommy had said about moving on and forgetting about her was a lie "Tommy fetch us a drink would you" Polly interrupted quickly.

Tommy threw Polly a death glare before standing up. He wasn't sure why her interrupting had angered him, but it had. Didn't she trust him with her? Didn't she think he was capable of concealing his feelings for her?

To be honest Tommy didn't even trust himself with Lily, so the more he thought about it the more he realised Polly was doing the right thing interrupting them. He did as she asked and left the room, Polly moved forwards and put her arms around Lily "Oh god the kids, what am I going to tell the kids?" Lily inhaled deeply.

"We'll sort that out tomorrow sweetheart" Polly soothed gently "Right now you need to sit down and breathe, think of that little baby"

Lily quickly brushed her hand against her stomach and thought for a moment. She was almost 6 months gone, her and John had hoped for a girl. Although he had teased her that god intended them a full football team of boys, before he would ever consider a girl.

"Lily" Polly's voice cut through Lily's memory. She hasn't even notices Tommy come back into the room. He handed her a glass of whiskey.

"Lil" His voice vibrated inside her, even the sound of him saying her name shook her "Here drink this" he said as the glass left his hand "It'll help"

"Why did they arrest him Tommy?" Lily wondered what had happened, why John had been taken away.

"I don't know Lil" Tommy hated not having the answers.

"They'll hang him for it" Lily got herself upset again as she thought about John's fate "They'll make an example if him just because he's a Shelby...oh god how am I supposed to raise 4 kids without him..." Lily panicked. To her surprise and Polly's, Tommy crouched down in front of her and cupped Lily's face delicately in his hands.

"He'll do no such thing. I will have him out of prison before he makes it to the gallows" Tommy reassured her "No brother of mine will be swinging by his neck, well unless he's Arthur and it's intentional" He joked and Lily laughed a little.

"You promise Tom" Lily said softly as she looked into Tommy's eyes.

"I promise" Tommy nodded "I promise that John will be back home with you in a few days, alright?"

Lily nodded and smiled "Thanks Tommy"

Polly however wasn't smiling, in fact if looks could kill Tommy would surely be dead right now. She raised her eyebrows as Tommy looked towards her and he quickly took a step back.

××××××

Polly and Tommy were left alone in the sitting room, while Lily bathed the children "You're playing a dangerous game Thomas" Polly warned "You can't go there again"

"I wouldn't do that to John" Tommy exhaled deeply "She's his wife, He loves her and as much as I hate to admit it she loves him"

"Yes she does and she is 6 months pregnant and doesn't need you confusing things" Polly continued in a threatening tone.

××××××

Tommy walked close to Lily as she was led by a policemen through the dark damp corridors towards a prison cell. Standing behind the heavy door was John, he had been roughed up a little "Oh god John" Lily cried as she wrapped her arms tightly around his neck. He had restraints around his wrists, stopping him from holding her "Are you alright?"

"I'm fine Lil, it's just a few scratches" John smiled weakly "I've taken worse beatings from him and Arthur as a kid"

The corners of Lily's mouth raised as she smiled gently "Trust you to make a  joke out of this" She chuckled.

John lifted both hands up so he could touch Lily's cheek "You've been crying?" He spoke tenderly. Even though it had been a while ago and Lily had washed her face, Lily had forgotten just how well John knew her.

"A little, a while ago. But it's okay now. Tommy says he's going to get you out" Lily put her hand on top of John's

"Is that right?" John turned to his brother "So you think you can get me out of this then?"

"Yes I do" Tommy seemed confident "I will sort it"

"Right that's time" an officer banged on the door. Lily looked helplessly at John.

"I love you" he whispered and she hugged him tightly again.

"I love you too" She sighed, before feeling two hands on her arms.

"That's enough Miss" the officer pulled Lily off John and handled her roughly, starting to force her out of the door.

"Oi, getting your fucking hands off her...LEAVE HER BE, SHE'S FUCKING PREGNANT" John saw red and started to react. Tommy stepped in and pulled Lilly into his arms.

"Its alright John she's with me" Tommy yelled through the door as it closed "I have her now"

Tommy's words calmed John a little. Lily clung to Tommy's arm tightly as she allowed him to lead her out of the prison "Please get him out Tommy, John doesn't belong in that place"

"I will" Tommy inhaled "Because John belongs at home with you and his family"

"When?" Lily wondered how long John would have to endure this injustice.

"He'll be out by the end of this week, you have my word" Tommy replied before pulling Lily into a hug "He won't be away from you any longer than he has too"